Chapter Forty-Four: Even If It Hurts

Wednesday, October 30th, 11:30am

I shake my head, "Okay no. Are you crazy?"

"I just want you to sing at my birthday because you did so good during karaoke night." Clark smiles.

"But do you know how much anxiety that gave me?" I ask.

"Please? It's not till the end of November so you'll have time to think about it. I'll even ask Jade to sing with you."

"I'll think about it, and I don't think Jade can sing... speaking of Jade where is she today?" I look around the lounge, "I haven't seen her at all."

Clark shrugs, "She hasn't been here at lunch for the past couple of days, I think she's been going to Ace's house for lunch."

"Huh?" I'm not sure how I feel about Ace and Jade, they've been hanging out a lot since School started in September and I think something is going on between them. It's not that I wouldn't be happy for them, it's just weird.

Ace has never been on to have crushes on people and if she didn't I'd never know about them unless I pulled it out of her. But since I've been gone for two years things can clearly change as I've learned.

I stand up from the chair I'm sitting in and walk away from Clark. I get to the hallway where the water fountain is. I made the mistake in forgetting my water bottle at home.

I lean down and take a sip from the fountain. I swear the creator of the fountain was trying to see what the weirdest position was for someone to drink water.

"Maggie Snow."

I pull away from the fountain and wipe the excess water off my mouth. That's another thing about fountains I don't like, the water just gets everywhere.

"What do you want Jessica?"

"For you to leave Adrian alone, he's supposed to be with me. Not someone from a gang." Jessica glares.

Her voice is already annoying me and she's only been near me for a second.

"First of all, Adrian and I aren't really together, we've been on a couple of dates, but we're not dating. Second, Adrian doesn't like you, he never has." I say.

Jessica takes a step closer to me, "You weren't here for two years, you don't know him like I do."

Why do people love bringing up the fact that I've been gone for two years during arguments?

"Yeah that's fair, but that doesn't change someone's feelings."

"Stop seeing him."

"Jessica, you've been to LA. There are so many cute guys there that would be willing to date you. Stop pining after someone who's showing no interest in you. It's not going to get you anywhere with him, if anything you'll just push him away more."