Chapter Twenty-Six: Girls/Girls/Boys

Sunday, October 6th, 7:10pm

I put on my headphones, sit down at the small stole behind my drum set. I pick up the sticks and start to play.

The vibrations shoot through my arms as I hit the snare. My foot bounces up and down as I push down on the drum pedal letting it hit the bass.

When I play the drums I feel like everything around me disappears and it's just me and just me alone. No crazy family, no crazy town and definitely no crazy feelings for people I know won't like me back.

I sit the snare even harder, the door of my bed room opens.

I take off my head phones, "You better be careful, don't want to break that thing with how expensive it was." My Mom says, she walks over to my bed and places down a pile of clothes.

"It's my drum set I can hit it however hard I want."

She takes a glance back at me and quickly looks back as she starts to fold my clothes, "I didn't think you'd want it broken."

"I can fold my own clothes."

My Mom turns around and crosses her arms, "Why are you in such a bad mood? I know you aren't on your cycle because I haven't seen anything in the garbage."

Seriously she looks in a garbage for my pads?

"I'm not in a bad mood."

"Then why were you hitting the drums so hard?"

"Maybe so it creates noise?" Honestly what kind of question is that, why else would I be hitting a drum hard?

My Mom turns back around starting to fold my clothes again, "Well what are you doing tonight? I think Samantha and Jamey wanted to watch a movie."

"What movie?" I ask.

"A Tinkerbelle movie, Secret of the Wings, I think."

"I'm good. I actually think there's a party being thrown down the street. I might go." I say.

"A party?... On a School night?"

"I've been on parties on School nights before."

"Yes when you were six, and those were birthday parties. That was also when you had friends who weren't in gangs." My Mom says.

"It's not my problem all of those friends became stuck up bitches who all wanted to be on the cheer team while I wanted to be on the football team." I explain.

"Watch your language, Jade."

"Sorry." I mumble.

I swear that I can never make a mistake in this house or I'll get called out.

"Are you really wearing that today, Jade? It shows too much."

"Failed your math test today, Jade? Got to get those grades up if you want to go to a good college."