19

April '75

Before Dylan knew it she was packing up her dorm room and making her way to LAX to head back home.

Packing her things and cleaning up weren't her favourite things to do, but she couldn't have been more happy to be doing so.

And more importantly, that the school year was over.

She was greeted by her best friend, Grace, who had gotten back home just the day before, and the two ended up spending the next three nights in the basement of Dylan's home to make up for the time they'd been apart.

"Do you need help unpacking?" Grace asked her once they got back to Dylan's home.

"No, I don't think so," she replied. "Gonna have to pack it up again in a little bit anyways."

"When does your next year start?"

"September."

"Then why would you be packing it up soon?" Grace asked, and judging by the look on Dylan's face, she knew there was news.

"Dylan O'Hare, you tell me right now. What's going through your head right now?"

"Okay, come to the basement first," Dylan said excitedly as she began rushing down the stairs, with Grace following as quick as she could.

"Okay, okay, what is it?" Grace asked again. The two of them were sitting facing each other cross legged on the big mattress Dylan's parents had set up for them.

"I'm going back to LA next month," Dylan told her.

"And?" Grace pushed. "That look on your face tells me there's more to this."

"Do you remember a few months ago, that weird guy that was talking to me?" Dylan began. "That invited me to some club?"

"Yeah...yeah!" Grace thought aloud. "What happened? Did you end up going?"

"You'll be proud to know that I did," Dylan said, earning a sarcastic applaud from Grace. "And I ended up talking to him after that."

"Oh my god!" Grace screamed. "You slept with him?!"

"Would you quit yelling?" Dylan shushed her. "No, I didn't. We just kept in touch when he went back home."

"You still haven't told me why you're going back to LA a month after you've gotten back home," Grace said.

"Well, that band he said he was in-"

"What about it?"

"Have you heard of Queen?" Dylan asked.

Grace's jaw physically dropped as everything clicked together in her head.

"You're kidding," she said in disbelief.

"I swear on my life," Dylan said. "Anyways, they're playing a few shows in that area and we're gonna meet up again."

"Oh my goood! Look at you!" Grace exclaimed. "You guys have been talking for a while then, haven't you?"

"Almost the whole school year, yeah."

"You lucky bitch," Grace said. "Going to see Queen and getting to hang out with the drummer afterwards."

"Not just hang out - Wait no, that's not what I meant!" Dylan corrected herself.

"What did you mean then?" Grace exclaimed.

"We might be, but definitely are, going out," Dylan said. "Like, going out, going out."

"You're being serious?" Grace asked and Dylan nodded in response. "Do your parents know about him?"