Where are we now?

(As you may remember, the girls have been sitting together to tell this story, so now imagine them talking to you as the reader)

Christina

Okay, so you probably wonder where we are now and what happened the past 4 years. It's 2024, 10 years after the accident and 4 years since we got back together.

Well, so, that's me, Christina. I'm currently 33 years old. When Amy and I flew to Tennesse back then, we never thought of meeting the girls at the airport. That's for sure. So, what happened?

Amy and Bakari went back to Africa after about three weeks, just like it was planned anyway. But I stayed and I'm still in the US now. I moved to an apartment with Lisa, Katherine, and Lauren, but soon I realized that I needed my own space, but still wanted to be close to them. I moved out to Nashville City about five or six months later I think. I started a study to become a mental coach. It's similar to a psychologist, but not quite the same. There I also got to know my handsome and supportive husband Sam. We got married in 2022 and soon I expected our first child. Our beautiful little daughter Elaine Shivani Mitchell is 14 months old now. Her name Elaine comes from Grandma Phyllis and Shivani comes from the woman who showed me the light when I couldn't see it. So, yes that's my story. We are currently planning our first family trip to India, which is very much needed.

Author: At that moment, little Elaine runs into the room, followed by daddy Sam. Christina picks up Elaine, places her on her lap and gives Sam a kiss.

Katherine

So, hi, I'm Katherine. I just turned 32, obviously. (laughing) As you guessed it, I still live in the US, but around the time Christina left, I decided to fly to the Philippines to visit my family. Thanks to the fundraising project, I had to the opportunity to help them find a little apartment in a safe part of Cotabato and also donated $5000. I still go back there every year for about a month to help them and enjoy time with them. And most important of all, they have a laptop now, so we can video chat whenever we want.

In 2021 I started writing a book about everything that happened to us. From the beginning to the end, and last year I was finally able to publish it. It's now a #1 New York Bestseller and called 'Finding You'.

If you're waiting for a husband or child to walk in... nop, I'm still single and not mad at it.

Lisa

Okay, that's Lisa. I'm 30 years old. The first burning question is... am I still living in the US? Yes. What happened to my plan to move back to Russia in 2020? I called Katinka telling her everything that happened that day, so she rescued my luggage and came to the US with the twins. Petrojik couldn't come because he had an important competition for his inline skate agency.
In the past years, I decided to be a foreign language correspondence clerk for Russia, so I fly to Russia at least once a month, but usually twice a month. I love how flexible my working schedule is. I can decide how long I stay in Russia after I did my job, but I usually have to leave after 1 week. If you wonder what I do as a foreign language correspondence clerk, I sign international, in this case, Russian, contracts and things like that. I love that I can see my new family as much as my 'old' family now. The schedule might change soon though. I was placed on a limited working schedule for two years because of the burnout I had back then. My flight times might go up to 5 times a month. But yes, that's my life so far.

Amy

I'm Amy, in case you forgot (raises hand). 28 years old by the way. So, as Christina already mentioned, I went back to Africa... and I stayed there. I'm still a teacher. Nothing actually changed in my life, except for the fact that Tuma became my boyfriend. We live together now and Bakari moved in as well since he graduated from secondary school last year. His scholarship ended and he wants to become a teacher himself. His study starts in September. Well, that's it from me. I still come to visit my sisters though. As long as my working schedule allows me to. I usually come at least once a year. So, here's Tuma and my handsome godchild Bakari.

Author: Amy points at the door and then Bakari, a tall teenager, and Tuma walked in. Amy gave Bakari a high five.

Lauren

Hi. I'm Lauren and I'm currently 24 years old. So what am I gonna say? My life is pretty simple. So, do I still live here? No, sorry if you all expected that. I live in Japan. I moved into Haku's apartment and now work in the orphanage I used to live in. Haku and I work there together. It's awesome to go get up together, have breakfast, leave at the same time and come home together. Then we have the same experiences to share and talk about. You might think it could be difficult or annoying at some point, and yes it totally is. Sometimes I wish we didn't work together, but to be honest we don't even see each other that much at work, because he works in the office and I take the children to every outside activity... well, at the end of the day it's still great to have someone to talk with. We know that we have each other's back and ear. And wanna know what? (raises hand) He asked me to marry him last week!! I'm so happy. (Lauren smiles and the others cheer)

Do we still visit by the way? Of course, we do!! We still come here once or twice a year.

Author: Haku walks in with a bright smile and kisses his fiancée passionately.

Dani

So that's Dani here. I'm 22 now. I still can't believe that we are all here now. Safe and together. I wasn't here when we finally reunited with Christina and Amy, but I visited after a few months. Yes, you're right. I didn't see Amy at this point. I met her for the first time when I surprised Christina at her wedding... and that was also the last time I visited until today, which means it's also the first time I'm meeting my little niece. Wanna know the reason for that? I'm currently studying paramedical medicine. Hoa became my idol and stepped into my mother role. She lost her job due to her accident and I wanna step into her footprints... I'm in my last semester now and can't wait to become a real paramedic. I love China. China is my home now.
Well, sadly Hoa can't be here today and if you expected her to walk... well roll, through that door, then I have to disappoint you. Hoa couldn't come because obviously she's in a wheelchair and it's not easy for her to get around.

Christina

So that's our story. We hope you learned something. Thank you so much for staying until the end. What did you learn? We would like to know!

Author: This positive response means a lot to me. You inspire me to continue!! Your uplifting honest comments are the best!! Thanks for reading :)

 You inspire me to continue!! Your uplifting honest comments are the best!! Thanks for reading :)