Skating

Chapter 4- Skating

            Ahh... The peacefulness of a school break, I thought. Too bad it was almost over. After this weekend, school would be back from Thanksgiving break, and I was not looking forward to it. Even if Kaylen would be with me.

            It was Saturday. My day, for sports, any camping trips, vacations... this was my favorite day of the week. It was a calming day... a day for no one but myself, and Kaylen, of course. I was showering and changing clothes for our skating trip. And of course, thinking about the skating trip; no surprise there. I found that my life, outside of school, revolved around my relationship with Kaylen. I couldn't tell if that was good or bad, but I treated it as a benefit of being close to someone.

            I'd actually lied when I'd said that I wasn't a good skater. I loved skating, and hadn't been in a long time. I was exited about today.

            I was wearing a hunter green long sleeved Aero shirt, loose jeans, and Nike tennis shoes... a normal look for me in the fall.

            My mom handed me the money, grabbed her purse, and we headed to the car. Kaylen was supposed to meet me outside at around five, and just as I thought that, she walked out her door. She was so cute, dressed in a cute green striped sweater and jeans. Weird how our outfits matched. I smiled as she got in the car.

            "Hey, Mrs. Lautner." She greeted my mother. "Hey Taylor!" She breathed. It was like she was as exited to see me as I was her. At this point, that seemed almost impossible.

            "Hey." I said, smiling at her. "We match."

            "Yea. Weird." She said. It seemed like she was uncomfortable around my mom, which made no sense. If anyone, my mom was someone she could trust.

            Because of the lack of comfort, it was silent almost the whole way to the rink. I did notice, however, that Kaylen kept looking at me, trying to assess something... but what? I found these glances unnerving, but decided to say nothing about it.

            My mom had to supervise, according to Kaylen's mom, so she walked with us inside. The rink itself was separate from the food counter and tables, but a window was there, so my mom went to sit down and chat with someone. We bought out tickets, and headed over to the booth to get skates.

            "I'm sorry I didn't talk." She said quietly.

            "Why? I mean, I would have been the same way."

            "Oh. Well, I don't know." She laughed silently. "Are you skating with roller-blades?" She motioned to the separate window for roller-blade skaters.

            "Yea." I said, and headed there. She looked sad, but said nothing. Pretty soon, we were laced up and ready to go.

            I skated effortlessly on the carpet, smiling at how easily it came. I couldn't wait to skate on the floor. I waited until Kaylen skated over to me. "See? You're not bad." I said, smirking. She really wasn't; she wasn't very fast though.

            She smiled ruefully. "Thanks for lying. I suck."

            "You don't. Look." I took her hand and led her onto the floor. Pretty soon we were up to a normal speed; Kaylen looked as thought it was hard for her to concentrate on anything but her feet. "Look at me." I said.

            She did, smiling. And then she fell. I tried to hold back laughter as I skated around her effortlessly, and helped her up. She straightened her shirt and started skating. I almost laughed again at her defiant and serious expression.