Crack a Bone, Run for Home

Thank you for the 4.8K reads! 💗

-------------

It took Uult longer than he anticipated to carry all his materials back to school. Luckily, Power Loader, his design teacher, recognized him from under the walking pile of scraps and had kindly helped the boy by carrying half the load and keeping the doors open. But even with his teachers help, by the time Uult finished sorting the metals, the sun was on the verge of tipping over the horizon. Power Loader offered to give him a ride home, but Uult politely refused. 

"Riding the bus at night is soothing. Plus, it's when I get my best inspiration." He lied. The truth was he needed to get away from prying eyes. The longer people stood near him, the easier it was for them to see his limp. Anything was better than their concern. 

How he wished he hadn't refused. Because nothing, nothing, could have prepared him for what sh**-show would happened next...

------(Backtrack 30 min ago)-----

This all started half an hour ago. 

At around 9 in the evening, Uult went to go buy a handful of fruit and vegetables for his siblings from the nearest 24/7 convenience store. Even if it was small and not well known, it had fresh and cheap foods, a perfect combo for large families. And apparently, for unwanted guests.

"Uult."

"Mr. Endeavor! Wh-what are you doing here? No disrespect but I've never seen you around here at this time. Do you shop here too?" Uult thanked his brother for making him take drama in school. You could say Uult schooled his expression extremely well in that moment; If Endeavor sensed his unease, he didn't let on. Instead, the man smiled. 'Disgusting.'

"I find it refreshing to buy drinks at night."

The sheer amount of hogwad, of balderdash, of senseless absurdity that statement held almost got Uult chocking back a laugh. "At a small, local, rundown convenience store, in the middle of the night, 48 minutes away from UA via bus?"

"What can I say? I love scavenging of interesting places people have only heard of, not seen. Don't you?" There was a dangerously sharp undertone to that smirk that had the brunet on edge. Instead, as all actors must, Uult resumed his innocent smile. 

"I wouldn't know. Never thought about it." At that moment, a few people left the store, making the two males step away from each other. "If you'll excuse me, I need to go." Uult seized the opportunity to bow slightly, remembering he's in Japan, and excuse himself. Endeavor smirked.

"Then go home quickly. Wouldn't want your family to worry. The dark might swallow you up." 

Before Uult had the chance to react, the man had left, head tossed back to a can of beer. The boy shook himself out of his reveries. "He's weird." Wanting to forget the icky feeling clinging to his skin, Uult proceeded to lurch out a shopping cart. He looked over into the darkness one more time before he turned into the blinking white light, drowning himself in the food isles and muted background music. He shook his head.

In the end, it was always the background noise that got to him.

----(18 minutes ago)---

"I hope this is enough."

Uult exited the store with a plastic bag hanging from each arm.  As he turned, Uult noticed that to his left was a large burly figure smoking at the designated outpost of the store. He quickly pattered away, breaking into cold sweat. 'Why is he still here?'