Closest Thing To Normal

"This isn't how it's supposed to go." I mutter to myself as I trudge my way back into V's supposed classroom. "This isn't."

He'd killed people— was in prison for eleven years. Killed more people— and doesn't even have a record.

And now because of a stupid school without any stupid common sense, he was now my teacher. My professor— and needless to say, it was making me angry.

He was lucky I loved him.

"Detention's supposed to be in the detention room," I drone, crossing my arms together. He looks at me in amusement as he shakes his head slowly.

"I just changed that rule. Detention's in here for today."

"V—" I growl darkly, striding towards his wide desk. He casually turns his chair to face me as I slam both my hands down on the antique wood.

"You're not going to actually make me clean stuff up, are you?" I deadpan, eyes turning more panicked by the second as his smile becomes wider.

"Are you?"

"No, I'm not." He laughs, shaking his head at my relieved expression. "I just gave you detention to have you stay here with me."

The sweetness is back, and I can't help myself. "Thank God. I honestly thought you gave me detention to get a huge rise out of me."

A guilty smile dances on his lips as he admits quietly.

"That— might've been part of the reason as well."

"V!" I exclaim as he waves me over to his side. "I trusted you!"

He pulls over a chair for me next to him, a smile still pulling on his perfect lips. The papers he'd used for the lesson lie scattered on the desk, and my eyes glide over the equations and formulas he'd scribbled on the corners.

"You must be a genius," I murmur, wondering where he could be if he had a normal life, a normal family. "You could've been a Harvard professor, with that brain of yours."

At my awed statement, all he does is shrug absentmindedly as he attempts to tidy up the mess.

"I'll help you," He says, pulling out a blank piece of paper. "You looked— more than lost earlier, Tzuyu. I don't want you to fail my class."

"Math is just tricky," I defend, an instinctive wince shaping my features when I realize that he was aiming to help me— which automatically meant more studying. "Everything else is fine, I promise."

"Sit down."

I sigh.

"Yes, professor."

He laughs when I slump down on the chair, fully knowing that him smiling immediately unraveled all my anger. Watching him be happy couldn't help but make me happy as well— since I'd seen so much of his other side.

"You'll adjust even—"

"Professor...uh, Kim?" A masculine voice echoes from the door, and V instantly points to one of the front most desks. He shoves a random piece of paper in my hands as I hurry to act like I'd been studying whatever gibberish he'd written down on the edges.

What kind of weird magic had he done to make a Q equal to a Z?

My eyes flicker up to the door as V opens it to reveal a dark-haired student. There's no doubt that he's a senior—

"Hello, Professor. I'm Professor Jeon— and one of the other teachers sent me to get you for the mandatory meeting today. They assumed you didn't know about it because, first day and all that."