Milk Is For Babies

Click.

My heart seems to break with relief as the call goes through, and V's rich voice fills my ear as I smash my phone to the side of my face.

"Tzuyu?"

I really don't deserve him. He's too good for me, and he should know that. But he'd still chosen to answer my call, and at least I'd hold that to my heart if I fell and died.

Which could happen any moment, any second.

"V— help me, please."

His voice goes silent for a moment before I hear a flurry of footsteps on the other side of the line, the door opening and closing as he rushes out of it.

When I hold the phone back up to my ear, he sounds more panicked than I am.

"W-where are you?!"

"I think Southside Park," I try to calm my rapid breathing as I tangle my feet in with the branches, hoping if I did suddenly faint it might catch me. "I'm up in a tree."

"What?!"

"I'm sorry!" I exclaim, tears spilling down my cheeks when I feel another wave of dizziness wash over me. "I'm sorry I said all that to you, V. I'm sorry that—"

"Tzuyu—"

"No!" I yell, and I can sense him practically flinch on the other side. "You hear me out. If I die, I want to die having apologized properly to you, okay?!"

I'm sure this is driving me insane, about to faint while being stuck up 45 feet in the air.

His breathing goes still.

"You're about to faint," He realizes, and I nod, even though he can't see me. His voice trembles violently, and I can hear the rapid sound of feet hitting pavement. "Tzuyu, don't let go."

"Of course not!" I yelp, not bothering to tell him I'd already had two dizzy spasms. "But listen— I don't think your disorders are stupid! And I know you just meant well for me, and I—"

"Tzuyu?"

My voice shakes.

"Yeah?"

"Shut up," The line crackles on the other side as he sucks in a breath. And only then do I realize that he's stopped running.

"Because you're not going to die."

________________________

He's here.

But the problem is that I can't exactly see him with my vision blurring, my eyes tearing up as darkness slowly clouds my mind.

So I can't even tell if he's that figure on the bottom, or the blob right next to me.

At least he knows I didn't mean all those horrible things I said. And I could tell he wasn't angry anymore, which relieved me more than him picking up the phone.

Then my right leg wobbles, and I gasp as I nearly lose my grip. My hands frantically clasp around the branch as I tremble, knowing I didn't have much time left.

My right leg wobbles again before it gives out completely, and a startled scream bursts from my lips when my foothold slips for the second time.

I'm really going to—

"You're not going to die."

Something firm snakes around my waist the second my legs collapse underneath me. V immediately pulls me to his chest, and I sag into the relieving warmth of his body.