Taehyung-ah

I'm a mess.

Black streaks his pale face as he shivers, even though it's so hot sweat is pouring down my back.

Pain is the only expression he carries as Jungkook lifts the heavy beam that'd crashed into his right shoulder, hurling the burning wood far away from his body.

I'm too afraid to look at Jimin.

"Let's... just get out of here first," Jimin breathes, wrapping an arm around my trembling shoulders. "Tzuyu, can you stand?"

All I can think about is the nightmare I had the night before. His face looks exactly the same— bloody, ashen, dead.

"Y-Yeah."

My voice sounds hollow. My eyes never leave V's, which are closed with unconsciousness. He'd passed out from the pain.

His right side drips a sickly red.

"Keep walking," Jimin whispers gently in my ear, and even though his lips are inches away, it feels like everything's a thousand miles. "He's going to be fine, Tzuyu."

What have I done?

________________________

"It's better if you stay here, Tzuyu—"

"No."

"I want to be there, Jimin."

Jimin, already dressed in a surgeon's attire, looks at me sadly. V lies still on the other side of the glass, only alive with life support and blood transfusions.

I should be the one there.

I should be—

"Hey," Yoongi's voice echo next to mine as I look up at him blankly. "Are you blaming yourself for this?"

It is my fault.

I shake my head just for his sake, but I can tell none of them believe me as I drag myself into the operation room. I can't look at V— his right half, all covered in dark, deep burns.

Tears sting at my eyes.

What I'd give to take his place.

Jimin had kicked out all the regular surgical assistants, replacing them all with the professors. None of them were thankfully hurt— and V wouldn't have been as well, if only I'd been smarter.

I was so dumb compared to them.

My bottom lip trembles as Jimin begins operation, and Jungkook starts to lift the plastic cover off of V's burned shoulder and arm.

And I can't look, not anymore.

I can feel all of them shoot me a worried glance as I bite down on my lip, tightening my hands on my knees. My gaze fixes on the floor, and frustrated, angry tears fill my eyes.

Not now.

They try to keep their voices as low as possible, but my face falls a few more degrees every time they say something.

"He has a shattered shoulder— and do you think skin grafting's necessary for the burns?"

"More anesthesia, hyung. Keep him sedated— his heart rate's starting to climb."

Inside my pocket, my fingers rub furiously against the cool touch of the necklace. If I'd just kept a firmer hold on it— if I hadn't been stupid enough to lose it—