Don't Lose It

V looks at me, half of his face covered in a sickly scarlet.

His eyes are blank and unfocused, the life stripped from his gaze as the crimson on his hands spread.

There's a silhouette standing over his motionless body, and I can see the silver gleam of a knife.

And my entire body freezes to the ground as he turns to look at me.

The face is clear, even if it's covered in V's blood.

And a scream rips from my throat.

_________________________

"Tzuyu!"

"Tzuyu?!"

When I look up with wide eyes, I see V bent over me. His expression is frozen with shock and worry, and the breath in my chest comes quick.

There's nothing on his face.

And he's alive.

A sigh of relief shudders through my body as I crush him to my chest, trying to forget the terror in the back of my mind.

"What's wrong?" He says quickly, his hair messy and eyes wild. "What's wrong, Tzuyu? Why did you scream?"

"I..."

Even though I forget most dreams, this one remains clear in my memory. Even if it's the one I want to forget the most.

"It was... just a dream."

His face relaxes as he kisses my forehead. My racing heart continues to calm as I breathe in his scent, trying desperately to distract myself from the emotions rolling through my mind.

"What happened?"

"I— I don't want to talk about it," I say, rubbing at my eyes. When I pull my hands away, I find the tips wet with my tears.

He gives me the slightest glance as he nods slowly, pushing my hair over my shoulders. His voice is gentle.

"Go back to sleep."

"I don't really want to do that either," I stutter, taking deep breaths. "I'll watch you sleep— but just not right now."

He wraps an arm around my shoulders, eyes soft and voice more tender than silk. His kisses are persuasive.

"What happened, Tzuyu?"

The dawn breaks, and my walls do too.

"My brother killed you," I sob, tears escaping my eyes as I press my forehead against the crook of his neck. "And the look in your eyes—"

"Shh."

His touch is gentle as he closes my eyes, pulling me down back onto the bed.

"I'm still alive, aren't I? Don't think about it, Tzuyu. Just don't think about it at all."

"I can't."

He licks his lips, his sleepy eyes slanting teasingly as he tickles the under of my neck— my soft spot. He smiles devilishly when I whine in protest.

"I'll distract you, if you want."

Then before I can say anything, he starts to trail dazed kisses down the plane of my cheek. He must be still half-asleep to be so forward, but I was perfectly awake.

A hot blush colors my face.

"H-Hey, quit it." I stutter, feeling the heat spread from the tips of my ears to the tip of my nose. My heart was already racing— how was I even going to fall asleep if he made me feel like I'd drunken a gallon of coffee?