Mission V

"What's up with you?"

The words I'd been pushing back finally comes spilling when I see him avoiding my gaze. For the fifth time.

"Nothing."

"Then why are you acting like I'm the worst thing that's ever happened to you?" I whisper, eyes wide and sad. "There's nobody here, V. It's just us."

"I know," He groans, dragging an exhausted hand down his pale face. Now that I look more closely, I can see shadows under his eyes.

"I'm just— stressed."

"Stressed?"

"Yeah," He replies blankly, eyes clearly still avoiding mine. And the thing that scares me the most is that it seems instinctive— involuntary.

It's like he doesn't want to look at me at all.

"If you don't want to see me that much, I'll leave." I say stiffly, my feet already heading towards the door. "See you at home, V."

"Wait."

His hand grips my waist, twisting me back. The small stack of papers he'd been holding falls back onto the desk in an unruly mess, and I stare up at his darkened eyes.

"Yeah?"

"I'm—I'm sorry," He whispers, and my eyes widen as he buries his face in his hands.

"I'm so sorry."

"Hey— it isn't something you should be sorry about." I quickly say, worry filling my gaze. Why was he acting like this— I shouldn't have been so selfish. He was probably overworked, and I was acting like a little brat.

"Let's go home, okay?"

"Okay."

I take his hand in mine, my heart breaking when he suddenly snatches his away. When I look up, his eyes are wild as he glances left and right— as if searching for something.

Searching for what?

After he seems satisfied that nothing's there, he reaches down and cups my face. Any thought of asking further disappears from my mind as his lips meet mine.

I can feel the apology from his kiss.

But apology for what?

_________________________

"Woah— you guys live together, too?"

A familiar voice rings to our right, and I whip around in surprise to see Jungkook and Jimin. The two are both sucking on popsicles that match the color of their hair, eyes wide as they wave.

"Yeah," I answer, surprise filling my voice as well. "Wait— you guys live here too?"

"Yeah— all the other professors do, too. We were just a bit late because we wanted to pick up some ice cream for the hyungs. Take one."

"What do you mean all the professors?"

"It's weird how we haven't run into each other. Jungkook's my roommate. Yoongi and Jin hyung are roommates, and Hoseok and Namjoon hyung live together too."

Then Jimin's eyes flicker over to V, whose eyes look unfocused and blank as they stare off into space.

"What's wrong with him?"

"I don't know— it's what I'd like to know," I sigh, dismayed at the sight of him so distracted. "He's been acting like this all day."

"Looks like stress." Jimin notes, eyes burning as he analyzes V. "Worry— concern over something. No, scratch that. Worried about you, Tzuyu. He's worried about you."