Chapter Thirty Three

Erika, Dean, and Sam look through the things stored in 1444. Dean goes behind some shelves, Erika some others, while Sam rifles through the desk easily visible from the door.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Sam startles. Dean and Erika duck out of sight.

"Nothing. I just..."

"Come with me" The Guard grabs Sam's arm and shuts the door behind them.

"Man, listen. Look. It's okay. I—I work here"

"Whatever. Tell it to the cops" The Guard takes Sam down the corridor and into the elevator, which descends several floors. The current-weather screen inside the elevator goes to static, and both men's breath is briefly visible. The elevator screeches to a halt. The Guard uses his elevator key to open the inner doors, then pries open the outer doors; they're stuck between two floors. "Well, come on" Something makes an ominous sound.

"What?"

"Last time this happened, it took them two hours to get here"

"Let's just wait" The Guard crawls out, nearly kicking Sam in the face.

............

Erika and Dean continue to search through drawers. Erika finds a framed picture of a Sandover bridge.

...........

The Guard is out of the elevator and turns back for Sam.

"Seriously, I'll wait," Sam tells him, the Guard leans back into the elevator.

"Look, I don't have the rest of my life" The elevator jerks downward abruptly, decapitating the Guard. Sam's face and shirt are covered in blood spray.

"Hey. You okay?" Dean asks over the phone, Sam slowly reaches for the phone.

"Call you back"

..............

Sam walks between the cubicles, talking into his phone. He's cleaning the blood off his face with a towel.

"Dean, Erika, you there?" he asks.

"Yeah, listen, Eri thinks she's got it. Meet us on twenty-two"

"Okay, yeah. Just, uh, take the stairs"

................

Erika is looking at the Sandover history display with Dean when Sam comes in. Dean looks to him.

"Whoa. That's a lot of blood"

"Yeah, I know"

"Right" Dean looks over the blood.

"So, uh, in there, love" Erika tells Sam as she points to a glass case containing a pair of gloves.

"P. T. Sandover's gloves"

"Yeah, bet there's a little smidge of DNA in there? You know, like a fingernail clipping or a hair or two? Something"

"So you ready?" Sam asks them.

"I have no idea" Dean admits.

"Me neither" Sam and Dean both take a poker and Erika takes her gun and a shaker of salt.

"Go for it," Dean tells Erika.

"Right," she whispers and uses her gun to smash the glass on the case. Sam's breath is briefly visible. Sandover appears behind Dean and flings him into the wall, then Sam. His hands spark as he approaches Erika, who grabs the salt and flings some through him. Sandover dissipates. Dean gets up.

"Oh. Nice one, Babe" Sandover appears behind Dean.

"Dean!" Erika shouts, Sam throws Dean the poker. Dean turns and swings it through Sandover, who dissipates again.