Chapter Fifty

Erika takes the long way back next time, something niggling away at her, she walks into the supermarket and her veins appear, she raises an eyebrow and approaches the aisle where Sam killed the demons, she walks to the blood and crouches dipping her finger into it and then sucking it clean. She makes a surprised face.

"Fascinating" she admits and then stands before leaving.

...............

Dean paces. The Pastor sits at the table with the short-haired man, and the young man. Austin stands near them.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He layeth me down in green pastures, and he raiseth me up again. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil" Someone pounds on the door. Everyone startles. Dean opens the peephole, moves what's blocking the door, and opens the door. Ellen comes in, alone.

"Where's Sam?" Ellen shakes her head and sits down next to the young man, who passes her a bottle of water.

"They took him? Demons took him? Oh my god. What if they're in here? The demons?"

"Could they get in?"

"No" Dean grabs a shotgun and heads for the door. "Everybody sit tight. I got to..." Erika walks in and moves straight to Dean, he looks to her.

"We need to talk," she tells him, seriously, he stares at her and then nods.

"Alright" he agrees, he, she and Ellen move to a table.

"What is it?" Ellen asks.

"Something just....I felt like something wasn't right" Erika explains. "So...I went to the store, the one where Sam killed those demons...."

"Alright," Dean states.

"I tested the blood" she admits. "Dean, it wasn't...." she sighs and looks around before looking back. "It was human"

"Meaning?" Ellen asks.

"There was not, nor has there ever been a demon in that body" Erika explains.

"Are you saying Sam lied?" Dean asks.

"No" Erika answers. "I think he thought they were demons...."

"It called me a bitch" Ellen adds.

"Bruise a little easy, don't you think?" Dean argues.

"No, that's not what I meant. It called me a black-eyed bitch" Ellen adds. "She's right" Ellen agrees with Erika. "Holy water and salt roll right off. My daughter may be an idiot, but she's not stupid. She wears an anti-possession charm. It's all kind of weird, right?"

"I told you" Erika adds. "The whole thing's off" Dean looks to her.

"What's your instinct?" he asks, Erika takes a breath and thinks.

"Do you know why Rufus came to town? Was there a specific omen?" Erika asks Ellen. 

"He said something about water. That's all I know"

"Father, you know what she's talking about—the water?" Erika asks.

"The river. Ran polluted all of a sudden"

"When?" Dean asks.

"Last Wednesday. And the demon thing started up the next day"

"Anything else? Anything at all?" Erika asks.

"Maybe, but it's pretty random" Austin answers.

"Good. Random's good"

"Shooting star—does that count?" Dean and Ellen look at each other and then looks to Erika. "Real big. Same night. Wednesday"