four

"So, Elizabeth, tell me, where have you been on July the fourth?", Keller asked me in a room where only the two of us sat down, he recorded our conversation.

"You can still call me Liz, Mr. Keller", I told him awkwardly.

"This is serious, Elizabeth, I'm the Sheriff now, not the father of your friend."

"It's been a Sunday, I was at home with my family. My parents, Alice, Hal, Betty and I were playing card games. Polly wasn't at home. I assume she was already at the Sisters of Quiet Mercy-"

"No assumptions, tell us only what you really know."

"I'm sorry. Everyone else can confirm that I was at home. I stayed there until Dilton messaged me saying that something happened to Jason. That's when we drove to Sweetwater River to look for him. Cheryl sat on a stone crying. Their parents told us what happened after my dad had asked multiple times."

"When was the last time you've seen Jason before that happened?"

"Do I have to answer that as well? I can't be the one who shot him because of that alibi."

"We haven't spoken to your family, they could still be lying to protect you. Even if your alibi was watertight, you could have helped the murderer."

"I didn't do that. The day before, Jason and I went to Pops for dinner. He was different then. He told me that he loved me multiple times and I felt like he was saying goodbye to me. He drove me home, that's all."

"Why did you threaten to kill him? You seemed serious from what students have told me."

"I didn't mean it that way. I asked him if Polly was honest when she said that they were going to be parents and that they wanted to ran away. I was angry and hurt. I mean I loved him, still do. I would never even hit him not even if people would say it's reasonable. But he wouldn't stop following me and telling me how sorry he was. My emotions took over and I lost the control."

"Isn't it possible that you lost the control before? What if Polly told you what happened and you became emotional as you said it. Do you really think that you wouldn't have hurt him in that moment?"

"No, I would never do that. Can I please leave now? I told you everything that I know. I want to talk to my mom."

"Then leave the room now. But stay in town so we can invite you to another interrogation if needed."

"Who do you think I am?", I only whispered before turning around to finally leave this hell.

I thought we could forget about this but just on the next day, Sheriff Keller asked Jughead to come to the police station. I immediately called FP and my dad.

"I haven't done that, you need to believe me, Liz", Jughead looked at me serious, "They think we did that together."

"I know, Jug. I know you better than anyone else. Never in a million years would I think that of you."

"I don't want us to become the black sheep."

"We won't let them make us ones. All of those evidences - like Sheriff Keller likes to call them - are only based on assumptions. Mom and Dad will help us."

"Is my dad here?"

"Archie, Fred and Betty are here", I commiserated, "Not even my dad knows where yours is. But we will go through this together like we always do."

"Thanks, Liz. I'm sorry for being such a bad friend the past weeks."

"It's okay. We can talk about that another day."

When the six of us finally left the police station, FP rushed to us.

"Jughead! I came here as soon as I got the message. I forgot to charge the battery of my phone last night, you know boy. What happened?"

"Nothing, it's alright. Harvey and Mr. Andrews have helped me."

"For bullshit did they want to blame you for, huh? Do they want to throw you in jail like your old dad? I'll fight Keller if he thinks he can do that to you!", FP shouted walking to the door but Fred and my dad stopped him, "Calm down, FP!"

"He's my son, you would the same for your kids!"

"Don't make it worse than it is", my dad calmly grabbed his shoulder."

"Yeah, okay", FP suddenly calmed down turning to Jug, "Are you coming home with me?"

"He can stay with us, Mr. Jones", Archie told him about their idea, "We offered earlier."

"Do you really want that?", he sighed, "Then it would be the best option if it's okay for you, Fred."

"Like you want it, FP. It's your decision to make."

"I'm coming with you, dad."

"Son, listen to me. I'll do everything you want me to. I'm going to change, bring your mom and Jellybean back home so we can all live together. But I need time for that. Only a month or two but I'll make it. You believe me, don't you?"

"Yes, I believe you, dad", Jug told him unsure of what he really felt.

"Do you think that FP will be going to work tomorrow?", I asked dad on our way home.

"I'll talk to him later. But I honestly don't know", he shook his head, I knew it wasn't an easy time for him, too. He was the best lawyer in the city of New York but when it came to his family and friends, he can be really challenged, "We haven't talked about it all. You know that you can come to me, too, don't you?"

"I know, dad. But mom did that already and I can't hear the pity anymore. I try not to think about it."

"You took the Macallan, didn't you?"

"Didn't mom tell you she gave it to one of your clients?"

"She did but she forgot that I know her and she would never do that. I won't lecture you on how shouldn't be drinking alcohol because I was ten times worse as a teenager. All I'm asking is that you will never do it again. If you want something, tell me. You know that you always get what you want, mija."

"I know, papá."