Approach

Chapter 8

(Y/n) POV
Dylan and Ava had been hanging out a lot recently, ditching the rest of the squad. I'm highly suspicious of them dating, especially with Ava being so 'romantic and flirty'.

Urgh, that made me cringe.

I'm absolutely against them dating and, I'm sure, so were my friends, but we couldn't just talk Dylan out of it, right?

I could feel a virus spreading around my whole body until I got totally infected by it.

Jealousy.

Now, I deeply regret not admitting to Dylan that I liked him in the first place. I was hopeless. Well, this was just my fate I guess...failing in life and just helplessly watching my world shatter to pieces.

Of course, as a friend, Dylan would ask me things like: "Are you ok?" Or "What's wrong?" I could only force a warm smile, lying to him that nothing was wrong, but deep inside, hides all my negative feelings for Ava and him dating. "All it takes is a beautiful fake smile to hide an injured soul and they will never notice how broken you really are..." ha, that quote is just what I'm feeling right now.

An awkward silence would hang in the air around Dylan and I more and more lately. We've been talking less and less, and started to get a little distant for some reason. I didn't really have the mood to talk to Dylan and every time he tried to talk, I would just terminate the conversation by saying monosyllabic words. He was just not really the same anymore... or maybe it's me...?

While I was lost in my thoughts once again, a deep but not-so-familiar voice interrupted my thoughts, taking me back to reality.

"Hey (y/n)! How's it going?" The voice said cheerily.

A muscular figure standing in front of me. My eyes traced the body to his face. Shiny blonde hair, sparkling ocean blue eyes and a smile so bright that it shone brighter than the sun. Jake. One of the most popular guys in school. He's really good looking and girls always chased him. He was also a freak athlete, being a really good player in like three kinds of sports teams: Basketball, Baseball and Lacrosse.

I didn't even know how that was physically possible...

The important question was: why was he talking to me? A really popular guy taking to an ordinary and unpopular girl. Is he sure he got the right person to talk to? This is seriously happening? Oh my...ok (y/n) stay cool, chill, don't mess this up. Don't say anything stupid! Don't embarrass yourself!

I sucked in a deep breath.

"Oh...um. H...hey Jake! It's...going...uh...quite well...I guess...?" I stuttered.

Well, that didn't go as planned...Great job (y/n)! You did really well! Should we get you a medal for causing the most awkward conversation in the universe?

"Haha, you're so cute!" Jake seemingly joked, gently ruffling my hair. "Anyways, do you wanna go for lunch together?"

Wait...hold on...Jake wants to have lunch with me? And he called me cute?! Probably not in that way but still, about going for lunch together... no way this is happening! What the actual heck?! I'm talking about THE Jake, that popular guy...oh my god! I would love to! But that would mean ditching my friends... I think they'll understand, anyway, it's just one day, I think they'll be cool about it.

Dylan ditched us so many times also...

"With me? Yeah sure!" I chirped.

"Great! See ya for lunch!" Jake winked and strode back to his seat.

I felt a stare burning me and I looked to see it was Dylan, and for a moment, his eyes met mine. We locked eyes for a brief second before I broke our eye contact.