Homework

Chapter 27

(Y/n) POV
It was such a relief that Dylan and I made up. That had been bugging me for days and we finally got it settled. I was tired of all the drama going on. Like Dylan said once about 'Regression to the mean', if things are bad, some day, all will be better.

The sad thing was that exams were heading our way and nearly three quarters of the school year had already gone by. Time had seemed to pass by in a flash. I didn't want the year to just end like that. But, what could I do? Soon, Dylan and I would probably be separated and he'll be in the top schools of California while I'll enter one of the worst schools. My dire results had no chance of helping me get into a good school. Ugh...

"Okay class, please hand in your history assignment now!" Mrs Penny's clear voice travelled across the classroom.

Oh god no. I'm totally dead. I didn't even know what to write. I'm gonna die...Well, at least it was just a practice, but still...

I dug out the two page essay, covered with messy handwriting, cancellations and carrots here and there. Mrs Penny was going to have a hard time reading it. Some parts I had to google and search on Wikipedia, then I just rephrased the information in my own words so it wouldn't seem too suspicious.

I skimmed through the writing one last time when suddenly, Dylan's hand flew in and snatched the paper away.

"Dyl! What are you doing?!"

He laid his finger on my name, a sneaky smirk plastered on his face.

"Yeah? What's wrong? I can't possibly wrote my own name wrong can I?" My eyebrows creased into a puzzled frown.

"Well, I'm sorry, but you did." He stated, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Oh yeah? Well, Mr O'Brien, since you're such a smarty pants, tell me what's wrong?" I leaned back in my seat defiantly and relaxed, folding my arms across my chest.

His finger tapped on my last name.

I didn't get it. "Yeah, so what about it?" I asked in bewilderment.

"This, stupid!" Dylan let out an exasperated breath, not pleased by my answer. Then, in a frustrated tone, he revealed the answer, "It's supposed to say O'Brien!"

I turn to him and nod my head, resisting the urge to roll my eyes. "What the heck Dyl! That's so cheesy! Are you like proposing to me? We're teens! You're really random you know? "I tried to hold in a sarcastic laugh, slapping his back with a certain amount of force that my hand hurt.

With his mouth slightly open, he stared unblinkingly at me. "What was that for? And by the way, that's some strength you have there! I didn't expect you to be so strong. Also, I'll do what is necessary when the time comes..." A little rise in the corner of his mouth, a smug smile, then his eyes narrowed.

I couldn't help but give him a cold glare in return to his smirk. "I hate you." I stated sarcastically, pouting my lips in 'anger'.

Dylan wrapped his arm around my shoulder, his face just inches from mine. "I love you too!" He replied triumphantly.

"Is that supposed to provide comfort?" I asked, a little pissed off.

"What? Not impressed? Well then—" Dylan's arm dropped, tilting his head as he backed away.

"(Y/n) and Dylan! Hand in your homework now!" We were interrupted by the thunderous voice of Mrs Penny that echoed across the entire classroom.

I shot Dylan a 'look-what-you've-done' glare before grabbing both our essays and strolling down the aisle, bringing the homework to the teacher. He burst out laughing, trying to conceal it by covering his mouth.

Ah, well, this is my boyfriend.