Hurt

Chapter 18

(Y/n) POV
A large patch of red skin on his right cheek and dried blood at the side of his lip.

Both of us clearly knew what happened.

"Hey..." I mumbled in a shaky voice.

I inhaled deeply, then exhaled a short puff of air, feeling the cold air slither into and out of my lungs.

"Your father let me in." My lips trembled.

"He did? Oh yeah, of course he did..."

"What happened to your—" I paused, raising my hand to point at his face.

Dylan instantly turned his head slightly, trying to block the wound from my view.

"Oh, uh...yeah, its nothing..." He shook his head, waving it off. "Don't worry about it, I'm fine."

I looked down, gazing at the ground, at a loss for words.

"Do you wanna come in?" Dylan offered, breaking the silence.

He must have sensed the awkwardness.

I lifted my chin to look at him, quietly nodding my head. I lowered my head again, and gingerly walked into his room. I stepped past Dylan as the door behind me closed with a click. I stared out the window, the dark street lit by fluorescent street lamps, the only source of light. It was quiet and empty outside, while my heart was pounding, filling my eardrums with loud and fast heartbeats.

"What are you doing?" Dylan asked from behind.

A sudden and surprising rush of anger hit me. I spun to face him, ignoring his question.

"Tell me the truth. What happened? You obviously broke our promise, didn't you?"

The guilt was like gasoline in my guts. My insides died slowly in the toxicity, needing no more than a spark to set it ablaze. The fire burnt me out so badly there was nothing left but a shell, an outline of a person.

I did this to him.

Me.

"Um...I...uh...got into a...a fight..." Dylan stuttered, struggling to let the words out.

"Just...don't do anything like that again. He seriously hates us, especially you...for humiliating him. Besides, I'm fine, taught him a lesson. He had it way worse." He explained.

Tears filled my eyes, blurring my sight and threatened to flow out. I couldn't bear to see Dylan like this... A single tear escaped from my eye, sliding down my cheek, followed by another one, and another, until soon, a steady stream of salty tears flowed it's way down my pale cheeks, all the sadness, guilt and hatred that had been held inside of me spilled out.

I walked to Dylan, halting right in front of him. Now, we had come face to face. I reached my hand up to stroke his injured cheek. Gently, my fingers graze around his bruised skin. He winced as I gently touched his inflamed skin, "Sorry." I quickly mumbled an apology, retracting my hands, but Dylan grabbed my hand, preventing it from coming back to me.

Just like my heart.

I paused, keeping quiet for a while, the anger and regret building up. "It's all my fault, I shouldn't have let you get involved in this... I'm sorry, Dylan."

A pause, then with a sharp intake of breath, I continued, "I hate him. He's not going to just get away with this so easily. This time, I'll get back on him. I'm getting revenge. Now, I don't want you to get involved anymore. Look what he did to you! All because of me." I half-yelled, unable to contain my emotions.