Lie

Chapter 17

Dylan POV
I pretended to walk down the path, towards the direction of my house and waited for (y/n) to be out of sight.

Once she stepped into her house. I stopped in my tracks, my eyes darting around, making sure that the coast was clear.

I couldn't just let the matter slide like that. Sorry (y/n), but, I have to break your promise. I'll just make up for it later.

I spun on my heels, turning a hundred and eighty degrees as I started to head back to school. I grasped the strap of my backpack tightly, seething with anger. No. I wasn't going to just do nothing. No one messes with my friends. I had to go up to Howard. No matter what the cost...

- Time skip -

I brought my wrist up, glancing at my watch.

Three fifty-nine.

One more minute.

Howard was already at the field, standing there with his arms crossed and his foot tapping impatiently. Waiting for me to arrive.

I took a deep breath before entering the field to face him. Here goes nothing...

I strode towards him.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't Dylan O'Brien! You actually came! Thought you'd be too much of a wimp to come. Ok, now, let's settle this. Come fight me!" Howard sneered.

"Let's do this then!" I rolled up my sleeves, a smug smile tugging at my lips.

"So confident?"

I nodded nonchalantly.

Both of us circled each other for several moments.

No one made a move. Not just yet.

Then, I guessed that Howard probably thought that we were wasting too much time. He came towards me, like a lion going to pounce on his prey, with his fists ready. I had anticipated the punch, ducked into a crouch swiftly as I delivered a punch to his midsection. The bully stumbled backwards and held onto his stomach for a moment, grimacing.

He wasn't going to give up just yet, Howard bit his lower lip, his eyes on fire. He came at me again, like a ferocious beast on the loose. This time, to my surprise, he reached for the collar of my shirt. I attempted to dodge away, but I was a second too slow. He gripped onto it tightly just like how he did with (y/n) earlier and jerked me forward.

Then came a blow from the left side, landing directly on my right cheek. A searing pain shot up my face. My head seemed to spin a little, slowing down my reaction time. Then came another, that hit me squarely at my jaw. I felt a trickle of blood flow down the edge of my lip. I gritted my teeth, burning rage hissed through my body like a deadly poison, screeching a demanded release in the form of unwanted violence.

I endured the pain, trying hard to focus. I brought my right leg up and kicked Howard right in the stomach with all my force, adding on to the pain he felt. That had caused Howard to lose his balance, falling onto the ground. But he didn't let go of my shirt, pulling me down with him too. He smashed onto the hard ground and landed on his back with a loud thud.

By now, I was right on top of him. I took this chance to shove his arm away from my shirt as my hands shaped into tight fists, swinging them at him, hitting him left and right, imprinting red marks and sometimes a little blood, all over him. Howard struggled, flailing his arms and legs, as he tried to push me away.

It was getting really hard for me to aim at him with him moving his arms and legs so I stopped punching him and pinned his arms against the ground. His arms were locked and he was trapped there was no way that he would escape. I had to use all my strength to do so. Howard was a really strong guy, stronger than I had expected. My knuckles started to turn white, my curled fingers were sore.