Back in My Arms II

Hold Me While You Wait

Ever since Demi's instagram post, you can't help but constantly think about things. What does that mean? Is she thinking about you just as much? Or was it just a quick down memory lane for her and that's it?

Your brain just won't switch off. Your roommate keeps telling you to move on, stop wasting time reflecting on everything. It's in the past. "Move on Y/N, seriously" were her exact words. You know you should, but it's almost like an obsession you can't get away from. Demi was your first love, and maybe still is?

You've been writing more music because of it. Love songs, heartbreak songs. So. Many. Songs.

You used to play at open mic nights, but that stopped after Demi ended things. You were too broken, lacking any kind of passion for it. But as time went on, you slowly started to get back into playing again. It started as just messing around with guitar chords while you watched TV, to coming up with lyrics and then finally, last week, signing yourself up to play at a coffee shop tonight.

It felt weird, being back on a stage. Granted, it's not much of a stage compared to Demi, but it's something nonetheless.

"Hey guys, my name is Y/N" you speak into the microphone, the hissing of coffee machines filling the somewhat awkward silence. "This song is one that I wrote recently, about a difficult time in my life. I hope you enjoy it, it's called Hold Me While You Wait."

As a couple coffee drinkers watch on, you take a shaky breath before strumming your opening chords.

'I'm waiting up, saving all my precious time. Losing light, I'm missing my same old us before we learned our truth too late. Resigned to fate, fading away.

'So tell me, can you turn around? I need someone to tear me down. Oh tell me, can you turn around?'

You can feel a lump forming in your throat, this being the first time that you're performing such a personal song in front of a crowd. The sound of chatter slowly dies down, and you open your eyes for a moment to see that more people are watching you as you continue to play.

'Tell me more, tell me something I don't know. Could we come close to having it all? If you're gonna waste my time, let's waste it right.'

'So hold me while you wait. I wish that I was good enough, if only I could wake you up. My love, my love, my love, my love. Won't you stay a while?'

The bell above the coffee shop door rings, but you're too invested in your performance to look up. Instead, you take a deep breath and continue to sing, your voice raspy.

'This is you, this is me, this is all we need
Is it true? My faith is shaken, but I still believe. This is you, this is me, this is all we need. So won't you stay a while?'

'Hold me while you wait. I wish that I was good enough, if only I could wake you up. My love, my love, my love, my love. Won't you stay a while? I wish you cared a little more, I wish you'd told me this before. My love, my love, my love, my love. Won't you stay a while?'

As the final strum of your guitar echoes, you slowly open your eyes to see a sea of people applauding you. You try hard not to get emotional, shocked at the crowd. You were so lost in your own world, you barely noticed.

"Thank you so much, thank you" you giggle into the microphone before getting up, your guitar held tightly against your body.

You walk off the stage and head over to your belongings, gently placing your guitar in its case.

"That was amazing" a voice says from behind you.

"Thank you so much" you reply before turning to face them. And that's when you feel that familiar feeling of air being sucked out of your lungs. "Demi?"

"Yeah, it's me."

-

This sucks but everyone wanted a part 2 and this is what ended up happening haha. Hope you enjoy it!