player | nancy wheeler

you crushed the red cup in your hand as you watched steve put his arm around nancy. she smiled shyly and did not move away. they walked through the house and were headed straight for you. she still had not noticed you standing right where they were heading.

"hey y/n," steve said happily as they neared. he pressed nancy closer to him subconsciously.

nancy's eyes moved from the floor to you at the sound of your name. she had on a shocked expression. you sneered and poured yourself more beer into a cup.

surprised?

"hey steve," you replied but did not acknowledge nancy. you picked up your cup and walked past them.

you overheard nancy giving steve an excuse before heading after you. you headed towards the front yard where it was less crowded.

"y/n," she called after you but you did not turn. instead, you kept walking to a tree that was a house over. "y/n, please."

you leaned against the tree and watched her approach you. you took another swig from the cup, "you seem to be doing well."

"y/n, i couldn't say no. he kept rambling on about how fun this would be," she mumbled. she looked at the floor then back at you. she tugged a strand of her hair behind her ear. she looked as beautiful as ever.

"so? you should've told him to fuck off," you rolled your eyes. you hated the small pain in your chest from seeing him around her.

"you know i can't do that," she whispered. she looked behind her to make sure no one was watching before getting even closer to you.

your breath caught in your throat with the sudden close proximity. she knew how crazy she drove you. you couldn't just give in though. it wasn't fair to you. she would kiss you one day and then run off to fairy land with steve the next. she was playing the both of you.

you shook your head and pushed her away, softly. "you can't keep doing this to me, nance. you say it's because we can't be seen together, but you like this don't you?"

you backed her into the tree, "making me miserable? you like knowing you have control over me. i feel for steve. poor guy is in love with you, but you don't love him, do you?" you leaned closer to whisper in her ear, your lips barely touching her skin, "you prefer how you feel when you're around me. i know you do," your mouth traced down her jaw and finally, hovered over her lips, "but i'm not going to be your little lover in the shadows. i'm done with that shit, nance." you pulled away. you finished your drink with one last chug and handed the empty cup to her.

she looked shocked and confused as you walked away from her. you turned your back to her. it was time to accept that she wouldn't be yours.