love you goodbye | mike wheeler

you shifted back and forth in your seat as you watch mike. you had been with him since the eight grade, so three years now. lately, you've felt indifferent about your relationship with him. you didn't care as much as you used to.

you felt like you had to feel some sort of jealousy because of how close he's gotten to eleven, but there was absolutely nothing. although, you knew that his friendship with eleven was nothing more; he reminded you constantly how much he loved and cared for you.

you felt horrible knowing that you didn't really care for your relationship as much as you first had. you were currently contemplating what you should do.

the bell rang meaning school was over. mike waved to some of his friends then turned to you. he had a huge smile on his face. the love he held for you was evident.

it hurt you knowing what you were about to do. "hey mike. can we talk?"

"of course, beautiful." he grabbed your hand and pulled you away from the crowd.

"mike, i-i—" you struggled to find the right words. you were no longer in love with him, but you still cared for him. you didn't want to hurt him. "mike, i don't know how to say this."

mike's face fell. he gulped and bit his lip to fight back any tears. "i know what you're about to say, y/n. i know there's probably nothing i can do to change it, but can we at least talk about this? is there anything i could try? i love you, y/n. i love you with every inch of my being."

watching him fight the urge to cry truly hurt you. the one thing you didn't want was to break his heart, but you'd be breaking it more by continuing this relationship without truly loving him like you once did.

"mike, i don't think we can come back from this. i've tried to fight these feelings, but i can't. i just don't feel like i once did. i don't want to hurt you."

"i know you're saying you don't want to hurt me, but can you at least show a little bit of mercy, y/n? you're acting like you don't care one bit." he was tugging on his sleeve. that was something he did when he was nervous. you watched his hand constantly move the fabric.

"i care, mike. i just can't care for you the way you want me to."

"can you at least give me one more day? one more day to have you like i do because i know that i have lost you, but i would like to love you goodbye."

you stared into his deep, brown, eyes and sighed. "one more day, wheeler."