August

I grudgingly let the queen inside. She surveys my house, and I have the feeling she notices all of the pictures of us, her and Maxon together that used to be here are gone. She makes a little clicking noise with her tongue, seats herself in our living room, and pulls a bag out of her purse.

I sit across from her.

"Your Majesty, if I may ask, why are you here at this time of night?"

"Well, you did try to murder my husband."

I stiffen. "I did no such thing."

"You also broke into my palace and stole my necklace, along with other trinkets."  She accuses.

"That is absolutely not true, Your Majesty," I say.

"Oh, pardon me, maybe that was someone else then." She says, but I see it in her eyes that she doesn't believe me.

"About this- murdering- aspect," I say, carefully choosing my words, "Whatever do you mean?"

"I mean, August, that you replaced blood thinner, which Maxon desperately needed," She dabbed at her eyes with a tissue, "With some type of hormone, adrenaline, I believe, that made him angry and hyper. He ripped out his vitals, the ones keeping him alive. Your DNA was found on the blood thinner tube. The one that supposedly had it, I mean."

I calculated my options for a moment.

I stood. "America, I believe you are mistaken." I lied.