Who Says You Can't Go Home? (January 1986)

PSA: this one shot incorporates spoilers from Stranger Things 3. If you have yet to complete the season, please tread lightly.
As always, of course my fluffy heart had to make the most out of that emotional and astonishing ending. I hope you all enjoy!
********************************************

A prisoner released into the free world never sheds their shackles. While they may physically roam outside a cell's four walls, the mental strain doesn't fully give way.

Eleven had been free for three years from her confinement, and in those few dozens of months, she had endured a hellacious amount of pain. It was common to encounter some loses, however, it seemed like she was a magnet that couldn't be bound to anything permanently.

Once she had moved away with the Byers, El was convinced she would never find a home. While she physically had a roof standing securely above her head, it somehow felt as though she had never been more vulnerable.

Luckily, even though everything else around her felt false and crumbly, her first home never faltered.

Mike Wheeler was a dream. There were days she convinced herself that she had imagined him entirely because he was simply too good to be true. However, their relationship was very much real. In fact, their romance ignited a change so revolutionary that all felt like it could go right.

The Byers family, which now included El, had just departed from Hawkins to head back home after their holiday break. While Will and El spent their time frolicking with the party as normal teens; Joyce and Jonathan, with the help of Nancy, had a plan wound up their sleeves.

The tears that had streamed down El's face as she parted ways with the love of her life were just beginning to dry when the car suddenly veered down an old gravel road. The action left Will and his newly integrated sister feeling heavily confused as the interstate sign they had passed a second before indicated that they were still four miles from their exit.

The two shared a look of confusion before Will poked Joyce's shoulder, "mom, the exit isn't for another few miles."

"N-no," Joyce started with a stutter as her fingers fidgeted against the steering wheel, "but this is the exit for us."

With everything that had happened in the past, El couldn't help but feel wary. She was still left reeling on low battery after the events of July 1985. Her powers had remained dormant, but she was now slowly gaining the ability to lift a soda can with her mind. And with that being said, she couldn't stop the pit of fear that festered in her gut as she felt suspicion creep in on them; knowing she had no proper powers to defend them.

"What is going on?" El briskly asked.

Jonathan, who had noticed his mother's failure to remain neutral, warmly assured, "everything is fine, we promise. We are making a quick stop somewhere."

Will rolled his eyes and huffed, "a stop in the middle of the woods? Yeah, I think I'll pass."

Nobody spoke another word, so El busied herself by taking in the surroundings. The trees were endless and there was nothing else in sight; well, at least until they approached a private driveway.

There was a two story cabin nestled at the top of the hill. The house had warm lights radiating within it and it's stature gave off such an inviting presence that Eleven immediately thought back to her cabin — Hopper's cabin.

Joyce put the car in park and spoke gently, "I know this is seems really strange, but I think you two might want to see this."

Will and El shared a similar look of unsettlement before they shrugged, deciding that whatever happens; happens. The duo got out of the car in sync and slowly walked up to the door. In an instant, the two clutched onto one another's arms for stability as they saw utter familiarity.