It's Just Ice (November 1985)

Hello friends! This one shot is definitely a tad out of my comfort zone, as writing non-future AU Mileven isn't my specialty; but this was an idea my mind couldn't seem to shake. Anyways, I hope you all enjoy!

*********************************************
NOVEMBER 15th, 1985. 8:15pm.

The sight of softly falling snow used to provide El with a sense of security. Her father had found her on the eve of a cold winter's night, and since then, it represented a calmness within her world. Yet, as she watched the snow fall from her home in Ohio, she felt a sickening flare of disgust coil within her chest.

She was scowling on the couch as she watched the weather conditions unfold and startled slightly when the cushion beside her shifted.

"You okay, El?" Joyce asked.

Without taking her eyes off the ground outside, El merely shrugged.

The truth was that ever since they had moved here a month beforehand, nothing felt the same. Every positive detail Eleven had intertwined within her daily life had been robbed from her grasp without her permission. It did not seem fair that one day her existence was filled with such vivid color, and the next, it had faded to a dull haze.

Nothing about this newfound life was fair.

Joyce placed a hand on the girl's arm before stating, "you haven't seemed yourself and I'm really getting worried."

Tears brewed within El's eyes as she continued bottling up her emotions. She felt her throat tighten as she choked back sobs that were aching to break free. The little restraints she had left on her mental stability were rapidly slipping through her fingers, and the feeling of being in control was fleeting.

The teenage girl attempted to focus on the falling snow outside, but soon could only see ash. She saw the cremated remains of the loved ones she's lost and the burning happiness that was swept away from her. In a way, it seemed almost like the sky was descending upon her in evil smothering glee.

"I know it's been hard. God, everything you've had to go through," Joyce's voice broke as she squeezed El's shoulder, "but I'm here for you, and so are Will and Jonathan. I know it was hard to leave Hawkins, but this could be good for you, Ellie—"

It was on that note, with that nickname, that the girl snapped. She abruptly got up from the couch and ran over to the closet where her dad's blue flannel rested. She hastily put it on, basking in the scent of her late father, and placed one hand on the door before her attention was beckoned back to the woman that had been kind enough to take her in.

"Sweetie, I'm sorry, but I need you to talk to me. I'm here for you and you don't have to go through any of this alone," Joyce begged as she took slow steps towards her adopted daughter.

El suddenly cried out in pain as she shouted, "I wouldn't have to go through any of this alone if you hadn't taken me away from the only home I have ever known in my entire life," her vision blurred as a frenzy of tears cascaded down her face. Her voice then turned to a whisper as she disclaimed, "you took me away from the last person I had left. Even if Mike had somehow been able to come here with us, I still would've been lost. You took me from my home.. from the last place I could feel close to my dad, and because of that, I don't think I'll ever be okay again."

For a moment, Joyce was stunned. She hadn't taken the time to process all of the damage this monumental move would create within the girl's life. She had thought she made the right decision and was keeping her children safe, but now she could see; this was going to ruin Eleven.