Crash Into Me (1988)

I reviewed all of my requests and noticed that a handful of readers had requested I write a one shot about Mike getting injured in an accident. So, to all of the people that wanted to see me write this, I hope you all enjoy! I tried my best to make this bring out a unique level of emotion, but struggled. I apologize in advanced for my continued poor editing, but I hope you are all able to enjoy!

***********

Feeling alone is an all consuming sensation. When El was brought into this world, she felt as though she had entered it in solitude. The first decade of her life was surrounded by dull cinderblock walls, and the only companion she had was a lifeless stuffed cat. However, as soon as she broke free, she learned what it felt like to be home the exact moment her and Mike's eyes met in the rain. Each time they kissed and had their fingers interlocked, it felt like a lifelong promise to never be lonesome again.

Here they were now, riding bikes beside each other in their flock of friends as they willed childhood to last a little bit longer. The couple was set to move into their apartment and begin college in the next few months, and while they were excited to start the first chapter of true adulthood, it was bittersweet to leave the streets that belonged to them.

It was a beautiful day as they peddled off to the quarry. The sun was illuminating all of the vibrant colors that the summer foliage offered and people appeared more alive beneath the fulfilling rays. Despite all of the sights to see, Mike's eyes were captured by Eleven's ethereal beauty. He watched as her wavy shoulder length hair danced within the wind and swooned each time her musical laughter blessed his ears.

Every sense within Mike was frozen and held captive by her divine being. He was so preoccupied by his lovesick thoughts that he failed to recognize he had slightly fallen behind and veered away from the group, unknowingly drifting into a busy intersection; until it was too late.

Even as a car struck the left side of Mike's body, he still could only see El. The pressure of his bones cracking and blood oozing from his wounds were immediately numbed by her exquisite presence. However, the sight of her wasn't as heavenly as it once was. Her chest notably heaved in distress and her honey colored orbs were drowning in glistening tears as she ran to him. Alls he wanted to do was assure her he was okay, but he had lost control of his lanky body. He felt her hands graze against his cheeks, but couldn't depict the screams that were escaping from her parted lips until the impact of the crash pulled him under a bed of unconsciousness.

*****

Dustin's comical jokes were sending cramps into Eleven's stomach as she laughed. The muscles in her legs flexed as she focused on steadying her bike. Once she had stabilized, she whipped her head around to catch a glimpse of Mike. However, when she did, she noticed how far back he was. She quickly stopped peddling, but it was already too late. By the time her feet had met the ground, he had shifted too far into the road and was hit by an oncoming vehicle.

"Mike!" She screamed his name like painful plea for mercy.

As she made her way to him, the world seemed to move in slow motion. His dark brown eyes peered at her like everything was normal; yet his red stained arm that was brokenly twisted reminded her that nothing about this was okay. El ignored the way the concrete scraped into her knees as she landed beside him. She cupped his cheeks in her hands and cried, "Mike! Stay with me, baby. Please, I need you to keep looking at me," she choked on a harsh sob as his eyes shut, "don't you dare leave me! Don't you even think about it!"

She crumbled on top of his chest and breathed in his scent as she listened to his stable heartbeat. Eleven could feel her friends prying on her shoulders and could sense their yells, but she couldn't bring herself to acknowledge them. The only thing she could focus on was the sound of his heart still beating.