13th Halloween (2008)

Just a heads up, this one shot is actual trash. I simply wanted to post a little something for my best friend, breathless_writer who is about to begin her brilliant journey at university. Jodie, I love you so much, and I hope this really subpar one shot is enough to provide you with a virtual hug.
*******************************************

It was the most wonderful time of the year. Ominous orange hues radiated off of string lights to match the radiant red and yellow leaves that were piling beneath barren trees. With Fall officially in full swing, there were plenty of exciting events rapidly approaching.

Willow's thirteenth birthday was on the horizon, and coincidentally enough, the day she was born just so happened to fall upon the holiday filled with tricks and treats. The Wheeler family would celebrate her birthday the day beforehand, and in addition to the array of gifts she received, she was also granted permission to pick out the family costumes. She had chosen matching character costumes from Star Wars and X-Men during previous years, but this was the very first year she had decided that she wanted to go as something separate from the family plan.

There was something about her branching out freely and choosing a costume that didn't pair with her parents and siblings that left Mike feeling unnerved. It was simply another representation of the fact that his daughter was growing up, and that was something he had trouble grasping.

For example, he had struggled immensely the year beforehand when Willow and her nearly lifelong best friend, Bill, began to date. Seeing his daughter invest her feelings and heart within another person unsettled him as it was completely out of his control. All he wanted was for his little girl to be treated like a princess, and absolutely nothing less.

He had gotten so consumed within his onslaught of parentally festering thoughts that he nearly jumped out of his skin when a hand caressed his tensed shoulders. His bones soon relaxed as his favorite voice whispered against his ear, "Mr. Wheeler, you are looking mighty handsome in that costume if I do say so myself."

Mike goofily spun around in his Batman costume as he jokingly flexed his nearly nonexistent muscles. He was just on the verge of uttering a silly reply when his ability to breathe was taken away from his lungs. His mouth gaped open as he analyzed his exceptionally stunning wife whose curves were being hugged and supported by tight spandex.

El smirked lightly as she placed her pointer finger beneath his jaw, shutting his awestruck mouth as she murmured, "what's wrong, baby?"

A wheeze left Mike's parted lips as he sputtered, "m-my god, are you trying to k-kill me?"

Eleven giggled before wrapping her arms around his neck, "I would never try to do that," she stood on her tippy toes and leaned closer to his face, "well, at least not until later. After all, Hopper and Joyce will have the kids for the night," she paused, pointing down at the rope that accompanied her Wonder Woman costume, "and I have a few things planned for us."

She bursted into a fit of laughter as her husband groaned and buried his head into her neck while he mumbled, "you really are trying to kill me, aren't you, Mrs. Wheeler?"

The two stood there wrapped up in one another for a few minutes as El's fingers lovingly threaded within her husband's curly hair while his hands teased the ticklish skin on her lower back. The moment was pure bliss and it felt as though nothing could go wrong; however, not a thing ever stays sane within a home that contains four children.

"Mom!" Willow groaned from the next room over, "please come fix my hair! Bill is going to be here any minute and I need my costume to be perfect."