Eight

The past couple of days, I kept my eyes out.

I was starting to learn how the compound was built: there were three floors, the dorms on the first, the second held the labs and equipment, and the third revealed to be a training area. It was all impressive, yes, but what caught my attention was the exit signs that lined the halls for emergency purposes.

Since Defender 11 wouldn't help me get out of the compound for just an hour, I had to find a way to get there without being noticed or caught. When there was free time in the day, I would wander the halls, looking for any good escape exits. There were some in each of the far corners of the compound. They didn't seem like they were used very often, so that would be a good way to get out.

Friday rolled around. I was growing anxious. Jungkook and I were supposed to meet up at seven to go out for some dinner. I felt a little angry that I had to break things off with him, but I thought that I might have been able to keep in touch with him. Maybe when things started to pick up a little at Bangtan Services that we could come together again.

At six fifteen, I was ready to head out. I did the only thing I could think of at the time: I grabbed all the pillows out of the closet in my bedroom and stuffed them under the sheets. It wasn't something that I was proud of, but it would at least give me some coverage in case Jimin or Defender 11 found out that I had disappeared. It would reduce the odds of the notice of my disappearance.

Sneaking down the hall now, I hugged my new jacket to my body, avoiding every person that crossed my path. No one seemed to be mingling around, probably because dinner was being served. Some people were either out during the day or training, which many trained until five in the afternoon. If they had cleaned off, they must have been eating off in the cafeteria.

I started to notice more and more exit signs apparent, leading me down the hall. My anxiety was kicking up a little, afraid of being noticed. I tried to contain my body from shaking or growing hot. The energy that Defender 11 had explained to me was a constant surge to fuel the Defenders for training. Though, when I had been training, it had gone differently than all the others around me.

I couldn't control my powers. It was only when I was sparring that it would come out. It was because the anger and frustration and memories reigned in combat. Defender 11 was starting to learn that, too, because he would always see the best of my abilities when I was fighting him. Though, I did have to learn to control my anger the best I could with the odd energy of the place. It was becoming better than before, but it was still a struggle to get used to the new fuel.

Turning the corner, I found myself to come to a dead end with a door that had a bright red sign that brought me to an emergency exit. The anxiety disappeared and formed into excitement, myself becoming jumpy with the new found freedom and deceit.

I approached the door while keeping the look out from any prying eyes. I looked over the appearance of it; it had a bar to where I could push on it and it would let me through. Though, there were covered wires on it that seemed to almost link with the door, like it would notify it of anyone passing through or not. It seemed harmless, but my instincts weren't too sure.

My hand hovered over the bar to the door for a moment, thinking whether or not it would be a good idea to see if any alarms would go off. I heard a small buzzing around the area, but it was from the exit sign above that casting a red shadow over me. I stared at the sign for a moment, still thinking.

If the door did have an alarm synced to it, then I would have to book it to try and not get caught. I didn't have the powers to speed out of there or to turn invisible, but what if there was no alarm? What if I was just being too cautious like always? The people who ran the company seemed to trust everyone there. They would let them wander the exit staircases, right?

My hand landed on the bar, becoming more and more convinced to slip out into the stairwell. I sucked in a deep breath as I was about to push it, but a voice made me freeze.

"Y/N, stop."

My whole body jerked to a halt, my head turning to find Defender 11 so close to me that he could take two steps and grab onto my shoulder. He still had a hood over his eyes, but a frown was over his lips. He didn't seem too happy to see me there.

It took me a second to step away from the door, lifting my hands up in slight defeat. I turned to him and said, "I'm sorry, but I have to tell that guy that I can't date him. Leading him on like this isn't something he deserves."

Defender 11 stood there for a moment, silence flooding over us once more. I was waiting for him to say something, to throw be back into whatever cell they had me in before, to take me to Namjoon, but he did something else I wasn't expecting.

He reached up with one hand, grabbing onto the edge of his hood and pulling it back. His face revealed to be filled with frown, but it didn't seem like a definite emotion. Though, his features caught me off guard, my jaw dropping to the ground.

I was never one to be super surprised, but this almost made me collapse to the floor. Jungkook stood in front of me, his big eyes staring down at me with a type of anxiousness to them. His pink lips were pursed together, his black hair a mess from the hood that hugged the top of his head constantly.

"I thought that I would be able to hide this until you left to do your own thing in the compound, but I felt like I had to do this," he murmured quietly, shoving his hands into his jacket's pockets.

"There's no way you're Jungkook," I finally spoke through my shock. My hand dropped down to my side, my eyes widening more and more. "Jungkook was the normal person in society that I was supposed to have a--"

"No, it's really me," he sighed, reaching up to his hair and trying to smooth down some of it. "I'm Defender 11."

"Wait, so I was going to a restaurant to tell a guy who wouldn't be there that I can't date him?"

Jungkook remained silent, not giving a nod or shake of his head. Instead, the energy around him told me that he was saying yes internally.

"You're the person I had been fighting for years," I murmured, running a hand through my hair with disbelief. "The guy who I was going to date was the enemy I had been battling with all along."

The ground below our feet suddenly shook, my unprepared body hitting the floor with my knees collapsing. There was a large rumble around us, the walls and ceiling shaking. I saw Jungkook also fall to the ground, him not prepared for the blow either. The nice tiles on the ceiling rained down a few suddenly, a couple falling just next to me and Jungkook.

It wasn't long enough until a few more tiles hit the hardwood beside us that a large siren started to blare. I winced at the sound, clamping my hands down on my ears to cover the noise. The lights around us turned a dark blue while the exit sign started to flash rapidly. Everything was turning into pure chaos.

Jungkook looked around in a small panic, his eyes scanning for something. The walls stopped shaking, which Jungkook hopped to his feet and grabbed onto my arm. My hands came off of my ears, a cry escaping me at the sudden jerk upwards. In a matter of seconds, Jungkook had me in his grip and rushed me into the emergency exit.

Coming into the stairwell, no one was around. The whole place was dead silent despite debris falling from the ceiling. It seemed like we were the last floor at the bottom, which there was a small hiding spot underneath the stairs that was blocked off from the rest of the world. The blue lights shone down, but the siren was less audible here.

I couldn't protest as Jungkook ushered us down into the small crevice under the stairs, pushing me in first. I gave a cry as I crashed into a wall, my whole body pressed against it. Jungkook's body ended up now pressing me even more between him and the wall, the blue light shining through the small entrance we had come through.

"What the hell?" I hissed out, struggling between him and the wall. "What are you doing?"

His hand clamped over my mouth, shushing me. I was met with his wide eyes just inches away from mine. "We need to get out of here and I need to make a plan to do that."