Twenty-Three

The flow of water was what woke me up around one in the morning. The sound of a faucet running nearby pierced my muddled mind, myself starting to come to. Through my eyelids, I saw a faint light coming through them. It wasn't bright, but it also wasn't too dull to not notice. The sound of the towel rack came after the water stopped running.

A small groan came from me, my body turning on the bed. I reached out with a hand to find Jungkook's body, but nothing was there. It was just ruffled sheets. This seemed to wake me up more, the thought of Jungkook disappearing creating my mind to think of the worst case scenario.

I sat up in bed quickly, my eyes squinting open. The light was bright with my eyes peering, it coming from the opposite side of the bed I was on. It was from a doorway, but not from the room's entrance. It was the bathroom that had the light blaring, a sound of a shaky breath coming from a person.

"Jungkook?" I called out, my voice hoarse from my sleep. I reached a hand up to rub my eye and started to crawl to Jungkook's side of the bed to slip off and make my way to the bathroom. Once my feet hit the ground, I stumbled a bit but hurried off.

Coming to the bathroom door, my eyelids were still squinting at the light coming at me. I leaned against the door frame, watching Jungkook's body; he was hunched over the sink, breathing a bit heavily with a washcloth next to his hand. He looked pale and a bit sickly, sweat coating his hairline.

"Jungkook," I said a bit firmer that time, reaching into the bathroom and grabbing onto his shoulder. He didn't react at my approach. "What's wrong?"

"I'm just nauseous, that's all," he reassured me, his voice a bit choked and hoarse. He didn't look up at me, just had his eyes closed. His head was bowed over the sink like he couldn't move.

That's when I caught the smell of the putrid smell that wafted through the bathroom.

At this point, I was wide awake. I stepped into the bathroom, my hand on his shoulder moving to his forehead. Placing it there, it felt like he was cold, clammy. He didn't appear to have a fever, but he was definitely sick.

"Let's get you back to bed," I told him gently, grabbing onto the washcloth. I turned on the water quickly, ran the fabric underneath the cold, and pulled Jungkook out of the bathroom carefully with the cloth in hand.

I got Jungkook to the bed and sat him down at the edge of it. Once his body was down on the mattress, I hung the cloth around his neck to let the cold soak in. I hurried back to the bathroom once more after and got another damp washcloth to pat around his hairline to wipe some of the sweat away from his hairline.

While getting rid of the sweat and replacing it with cold water on his forehead, I murmured, "You don't have a fever. I think you may have just a small bug. If you rest, it'll pass."

He suddenly reached up and grabbed my wrist, stopping me for a second. He looked up to meet me with unfocused eyes. "I can't get the bodies out of my head."

I stared at him for a second, unsure to what he was referring to. I gently pulled my wrist out of his hand, crouched down to get to his eye level the best I could, and said, "What are you talking about?"

"You don't understand," he whispered. He looked down at his hands, the both of us finding them to be shaky. I grabbed onto them, another wash of concern flowing over me. "I don't know how you're able to do all of that, to have a conscious mind. I could barely even look at it all.

"You're still confusing me," I said softly, running my thumb over his knuckles. I hated to feel his hands shaking in mine. "What am I able to do?"

"To kill people, Y/N," he finally breathed, his eyes widening a little at his words. "What you've been doing, who you're friends with, I can't even fathom how you can live the life you had before coming to the Services. I've only been in it for a few days and look at me! I'm in shock! I'm vomiting and losing my damn mind!"

"Hey, hey," I shushed him, trying to calm him down. "Trust me, there were moments in time where I've been in the same place you're in. I just need you to calm down and take some deep breaths."

"I've never killed a person in my life before I met you," he said, his voice strained as it came out. His hands started to hold onto mine tighter. "I've only arrested people, put them to justice. Is this the kind of life that you've lived constantly?"

I swallowed, knowing I needed to calm Jungkook down. The past day had been so stressful with the news and new fear that had been popping up. He was terrified; and I was, too. "I was young when I had spiraled. I've regretted it to this day because it's caused so much chaos on my life, but the sad part about it was I trained myself to turn off my emotions, to not care what I was doing. It sounds really bad, but sometimes that's what you have to do to get through something."

"I hated how I got scared of you today," he murmured, his eyes falling between us like he was ashamed and didn't want me to look me in the face. "How you acted . . . Only Class 4 Egos get that way. I had worked with a couple of Class 4s, but that . . . that was the worst I've seen from one before."

"It doesn't help that my powers create an insane amount of energy," I said, my stomach dropping slowly at that realization. "It just adds onto the surge that I'm able to express. I'm sorry you've had to experience that."

Jungkook's face seemed to be filling with color once more, less sweat coating his skin. He was starting to calm down, our talk seeming to get all of his emotions out. I tried to give him a small smile, standing up with my hands falling away from his. The wet cloth was still in my hands as I said, "You need sleep to clear your head. Don't worry about anything tonight. We'll figure everything out tomorrow."

Jungkook silently complied, letting me take the cloth off of his neck and bring the washcloths back to the bathroom to put in the sink. After doing so, I came back to find him underneath the sheets already, looking as if he was waiting for me.

I slipped back into the bed on my side, going underneath the sheets. Once I had settled down, Jungkook's arms pulled me close, encasing me in an embrace into him. I gave a sigh as I melted into him, feeling his whole body relax from all of the tension falling away from him and into nothingness.

"Goodnight," I murmured to him, closing my eyes. He never answered; he had already fell asleep.