eighteen! ⋆ THE LOST POLLYWOG

( songs for the chapter )⋆ dust in the wind // kansas⋆ everybody wants to rule the world // tears for fears

⋆ dust in the wind // kansas
⋆ everybody wants to rule the world
// tears for fears

( songs for the chapter )⋆ dust in the wind // kansas⋆ everybody wants to rule the world // tears for fears

THIS NIGHTMARE WAS THE WORST one Kate had ever had. It was different than the past ones because this one was just Dr. Brenner, looking exactly as he did the last time Kate had seen him. She stood in the middle of the dark abyss as the older man stood ahead of her. Kate knew it wasn't real, she'd been experiencing these long enough to know that – but as she reached out her hand to touch him, she felt the soft material of his suit jacket. Immediately, she reeled her hand back.

"Nothing you have been told is true," he said, a sinisterly friendly smile upon his face. "You've been lied to, Catherine. I want to help you understand."

Brenner hand went to her shoulder, but Kate was quick to shove him off. And as she did so, he turned to dust. Suddenly, Kate was alone again. Her hand clutched her chest as she began gasping for breath.

She heard the sound of a car revving behind her, making her snap in the direction of the noise. There was a blonde haired woman in a red Crosely Station Wagon. It was the same woman she'd been dreaming about for the past year. She was applying bright pink lipstick in a compact mirror as a man in a suit – quite reminiscent to Brenner's – began walking up behind the vehicle. The woman didn't seem to notice.

Kate furrowed her brows as she wondered what the purpose of the vision was. But as the anonymous man pulled out a gun, she immediately understood. She squeezed her eyes shut as the stranger aimed his gun; her hands plugged her ears before the sound of a gunshot echoed in the abyss. Despite herself, she opened her eyes and let out a bloodcurdling scream. The woman was now limp in her seat with a bullet hole in her skull.

The teenager felt the immediate urge to throw up, despite knowing what she was seeing wasn't real. Brenner's voice echoed all around her, though Kate couldn't even see him anymore. "I want you to see more clearly, Catherine. No one knows what really happened to your mother that night, but now you do–"

Kate sat up in her bed, her tears mixed in with the sweat that dripped down her face. It was barely 5 a.m., but she knew there was absolutely no way she'd be going back to bed. Even though she was feeling light headed and her sight was still blurry from sleep, she ran directly to the basement – being careful not to wake those who were sleeping.