It Can Only Get Worse

Ailani's P.O.V

"Could you not take another route?" I pleaded with the cab driver, getting anxious that we hadn't moved in the past 3 minutes. "It's just, I really need to be somewhere."

The old man in the driver seat shrugged, repeating "what can I do?" over and over again in frustration. I was debating whether I should stay in the car and wait for the traffic to move, or get out and make my own way to the hotel Solomon told me to go to. I spent the next 5 minutes battling with my inner voice, until I decided that I was putting myself in danger by sitting idly in the car.

I handed him 10 euros, said 'gracias' and then hopped out the car, walking down amidst the traffic. Ignoring the weird looks people were giving me, I weaved in and out of the vehicles, putting my hand up to say 'thank you' and 'sorry' whenever I jumped in front of a car that was about to move.

**************

Solomon's P.O.V

"Why are they moving so fast all of a sudden?" I asked, watching the group of werewolves speeding up. They had their focus on someone quite a while in front, and I was betting any money that it was Ailani.

Catalina stopped for a split second, and then in a blink of an eye she was hunched over the hood of a car, hands balled into fists. She was having a vision.

I rushed to her side and placed my hands on her shoulders, like always. I apologised to the couple that were driving the car, who quickly rolled their windows up to avoid any trouble.

"Catalina," I said gently, trying my best to make it look like everything was okay. "Catalina, what do you see?"

***************

Catalina's P.O.V

"What the fuck are you?!"

I had fallen unconscious, and woke up to see everything frozen in time, everything except a small crowd of people at the front of the traffic. Solomon was no longer beside me, so I walked hesitantly to the sound of screams and arguments.

I passed by people getting out of their cars, halfway in and halfway out, faces frozen in an expression of horror and confusion. A young girl to my right had been left in the back of a car, tears stopping on the cheek of her face, her mouth wide open in a silent cry.

"Solomon NO!"

My heart dropped in my chest, as I heard his name rip through the air. It didn't help that it was my own voice it came from.

Running to the front now, I held my breath in preparation for the worst to come. My visions only ever came to me to tell me something very bad was going to happen, most likely an event that would change the course of the future. So far, only one vision had not come true – the vision I had been given when I was a young girl, the first time Solomon and I opened the Book of Truths.

"Solomon, you need to calm down. We are out in the open. You can''t let them know who we are."

I was at the front now, looking at a future version of myself holding onto Solomons torso, trying to stop him from shifting. Ailani was being held by one of Ivan's strongest male wolves, a gun pointed to the temple of her head.

The sound of a trigger exploding erupted through the air, and my heart sunk. It was all over.

But Ailani looked fine. I checked for Solomon and there was no blood coming from his flesh. The man with the gun fell back, blood pouring from his stomach, coating his dark top with a flow of crimson liquid.

"Daddy?" A young boy's voice broke through the silence, and a tear left my eyes as I saw what had happened. "Daddy wake up."

A man – and apparently a father, had been shot during the conflict; and was now lying on the pavement – still and cold.

********************

"Catalina, what do you see?"

I was awake now, with Solomon standing closely behind me, hands on my shoulders. Everything was back to normal, but I was afraid wasn't going to last for that long.

"Solomon," I said, looking to the front of the traffic. "We need to get out of here, something's going to happen, it's not going to be good..."

"No Catalina, we need to get Ailani. We can't go back without her."

I hated to admit it, but Solomon was right. She was our only hope, and it was mine and Solomon's duty to watch her and protect her.

Ivan's pack were out of sight, which made me panic. They probably had already found her. 

"We have to hurry." I said getting up to my feet. "She's gotten out of the cab, she's put herself in danger."  

****************

Ailani's P.O.V

I didn't know that the people here could be so rude. 

I was making my way past the cars that were stuck in the middle of the road, unmoving. The weird looks that I was getting didn't phase me, but the sound of loud horns beeping unnecessarily was getting on my nerves. 

"Where the hell is this hotel?" I murmured to myself, slowing down slightly so I could get a good look at the map on my phone. It said 10 minutes away, but that was by bloody car, and now I was walking. 

"QUE TE PASA? IDIOTA!" 

I jumped as more horns bibbed and people started shouting from their car seats. 

Damn, I'm just looking for directions...

I looked behind me, ready to meet the face of another person sitting impatiently in their car, sending stares like daggers. My heart fell to my stomach as I saw a group of people dressed in black, running towards me with faces coated in anger. 

I recognised the face of one of them, and immediately started running. Within 2 minutes of sprinting, I was caught off guard by my hair being yanked back until I hit a rock hard chest. My struggle was forced to a stop when I felt a cold weapon being placed to my temple. 

Everything else happened too quickly. Solomon and Catalina, a soothing voice and wolf about to shift, to two gunshots and then screams. 

I wasn't allowed to see the dead body.