Chapter 3: Flashbacks

"I'd like to have a bagel and a cup of tee", Tom ordered politely, gently smiling at the young waitress in front of him.

"And what can I do for you?", she asked Robert, obviously flirting with him.

But he didn't look at her at all. He simply stared down at the table.

"Coffee and some aspirin", he mumbled then and ran his fingers through his messy dark brown hair.

The waitress nodded slightly and quickly left again.

"You should be polite, Robert", I mumbled reproachfully and sat down right next to him.

"I'm not quite sure if they're actually serving painkillers in here", Tom thought out loud and gained an evil look from Robert.

"I don't mind", he mumbled then, now staring out of the window, regarding the people out there.

"So, you had another anxiety attack?", Tom continued after a moment of silence.

Robert nodded slightly.

"I see her", he mumbled then, "I have memories of us, of her, that night..."

He swallowed hard and I recognized him trying to fight against the upcoming tears in his eyes.

"Flashbacks?", Tom assumed curiously.

"Yeah", Robert agreed quietly, "Every time I close my eyes, I see her dying in front of me. Her pale face, her bloodstained hair..."

Suddenly, the waitress came back with their order. She gently smiled at Tom who smiled back at her. Then she placed the coffee on the table without even looking at Robert again. She knew who he was. Everyone knew who he was. Or at least who he pretended to be.

"I can't take this anymore", he continued as soon as she was gone again, "You all keep telling me it was not my fault. But if I had seen that car, Kate would still be right here with us. We would we happy, maybe having our own little family..."

He quickly wiped away the tears in his eyes and stared out of the window again, trying to hide his feelings.

"But you didn't just flip your car", Tom countered seriously, "It was dark, that guy was driving way too fast. He was just there, coming out of nowhere. You could not have seen him. Nobody could. It was an accident, a tragic accident. And so was Kate's death. A tragic accident."

Tom was right. Neither Robert nor anyone else could have done anything to prevent what was going to happen anyway.

"You need help, Robert", Tom added then.

"I don't need help. I don't need anyone!", he countered angrily and clenched his fists.

"You couldn't even visit her at the cemetery", Tom said reproachfully, "You haven't been there since her funeral. So don't tell me, you don't need any help!"

Robert stared at him intensely.

But Tom was right. He's never been at my grave again.

"I never intended to play this card, Rob, but maybe it's time to tell you...", he mumbled, "If Kate could see you this way she'd set you straight again. She surely wouldn't watch you wallow in self pity and drown your sorrow in alcohol..."

"Shut up!", Robert spitted quietly, "Don't you dare to talk about her like that. Don't talk about Kate like you knew her. You never knew her the way I did."

"Robert, calm down", I tried to comfort him, "He's just trying to help you..."

Tom's latest strategy might have been harsh but it was surely effective as well.

He pulled out his wallet, searching for something before he handed Robert a little card with a name on it.

Elizabeth Shaw.

"She's a therapist in downtown", Tom explained additionally, "She's good, she's really good. You should pay her a visit..."

"I surely don't need a therapist", he retorted and raised his eyebrow.

Suddenly, I caught a glimpse of some of the waitresses staring at Robert, talking quietly while one of them seemed to show something on her phone to the others.

"That's him, right?", I heard one of them asking, "That's Robert Downey Jr!"

Immediately, the one with the phone walked over to us.

"Excuse me but are you Robert Downey Jr?", she asked then, "The actor?"

Robert raised his head, regarding her closely.

"Why?", he simply asked and rolled his eyes.

She turned her phone and showed him a video. I recognized it directly.

"No", I whispered and carefully stroked Robert's arm, "Don't look at that..."

There it was. Our car. The car of our accident. It was turned over, mostly damaged, a huge crowd of people trying to catch a glimpse of the scenario. A few steps behind, there was an ambulance, Robert sitting inside, getting checked by the paramedics.

Suddenly, he couldn't stop himself from throwing her phone to the ground, getting up rapidly. Everyone turned around and stared at him in disbelief.

"F**k you!", he spitted angrily, "All of you!"

Immediately, Tom got up, chasing after Robert.

"I'm sorry", he apologized quietly, "I'll pay for that."

Then we both followed Robert outside.

Anger management issues. One of his other struggles. Sometimes, he just lost his temper. But that was nothing he couldn't work on. He just needed someone to help him. He just needed some...

Help.