Chapter 38: Imagination

There was this almost forgotten warmth that was covering my body in rays of light. Everything around me was white, just like a blank sheet of paper. Empty.
Yet, the feeling of emptiness was not growing on me any longer. It almost seemed like the warmth and light, that was now covering me, started to fill my body with something I hadn't felt for a while. Something, I thought I had lost when I died. Something that left my body when darkness became my alley.
Concealment.
Relief.
I could almost feel how the life cursed back into my body, my veins, my lungs; drowning the darkness I thought I knew until I eventually opened my eyes, breaking the last chains on me.

I gasped, desperately trying to catch my breath as I looked around.
Obviously, I was laying on the cold hard ground.

Hesitantly, I placed my palms on the ground on each side of my corpse and got up, my legs all shaky and weak.

Looking down at my hands, I realized the color that rushed back into my skin in opposite to the long white dress I was actually wearing, my dark brown curls in a messy bun with a few loose strands left outside.

As I kept observing the periphery, I was able to identify some of the buildings that were reaching out for the sky all around me.
There was this old building, the palace, with that one tower and its famous clock that was ticking, yet without revealing the time. I turned around and regarded the bridge across the huge and wild river, majestic as I remembered it when I last was here. West of the bridge on the opposite riverside, I recognized the giant Ferris wheel that was already touching the sky.

"London", I whispered almost inaudibly and touched the cold railing made of steel, looking up to the sky where the sun was shining.

Although everything around me looked like London, it was not really the city I loved so much. It might have looked like that but I definitely wasn't the truth. Just a wicked game.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, inhaling the fresh air.

The walls and streets were brighter than I remembered them to be. Besides, the streets were empty. There was no car, no cab, no bus. No human being anywhere within sight.
I was alone. All alone.

Running my fingers through my hair, I uttered a sigh.

"Where am I?", I asked myself as I slowly collapsed, landing on my knees as I stared along the lonely road.

"You are not alone."

Immediately, I turned around. I knew that voice. I had heard it before. That soft and angels like voice.

"Grace", I mumbled in disbelief as I recognized her petite silhouette standing just a few steps away from me, her hands behind her back, a cheeky smile on her face as she regarded me closely.

"You've made it", she said and slowly walked towards me.

I wanted to get up, wanted to embrace her, wanted to hold her close and never let go again. But my body was frozen, none of my muscles reacting to the signals my brain was sending out.

"I've missed you", she added as she finally approached me and wrapped her arms around my body.

"God, Grace", I stuttered still in shock as I was eventually able to wrap my arms around her fragile corpse, pressing her against my chest as I caressed her hair, tears of joy streaming down my cheeks, "You don't know how much I've missed you, sweetheart."

I smiled sadly and inhaled her fragrance, a scent of fresh roses invading my nostrils.

"Where are we?", I finally managed to ask what's been burning on my mind since the second I had arrived at this place that looked like the most wonderful city I had ever visited, "Is this heaven?"