Chapter 12: The Quest

Robert entered our house. He closed the door behind him and immediately entered the kitchen to pour himself another glass of scotch. I stopped in the doorway, crossing my arms and regarded him reproachfully.

"Do you really think that's going to help?", I asked sarcastically, knowing he wouldn't answer me anyway.

He emptied the glass without hesitating and poured himself another one.

I sighed and didn't keep my eyes off him. Then he went upstairs, the glass still in his hand. I followed him, curious what he was going to do next.

He entered our bedroom, leaning in the doorway, and stared at the bed. The left side was still like it was before, just the way I left it behind, remaining unaffected. He never laid down on my side. He always rested on his side, staring at the empty place like I'd appear within a heartbeat.

"Oh my... Robert!", I marveled as I laid down on his bed, crossing my arms behind my head as I stared at the ceiling, "This is so comfortable! I swear, I've never been closer to heaven like now!"

He chuckled, his eyes crinkling like always, making him even more attractive than usual. I've never been able to resist his cheeky smile. And he knew that. It was his key to succeed every time. He laid down next to me, following my eyes, looking at the ceiling as well.

"You should get used to it because I'm not letting you go again", he countered smirkingly and turned to the left, regarding me closely before he gently touched my cheek.

I blushed immediately. It was sort of a natural reaction to his touch.

"So, did you plan to kidnap me?", I retorted jokingly and turned to the right, looking right into his caramel puppy eyes.

"Meh, I don't have to kidnap you, Miss", he countered, "I'm pretty sure you're going to stay by yourself."

"What makes you so sure of that?", I mumbled almost apathetically, lost in his beautiful eyes.

He shrugged and smiled at me.

"I simply know it", he replied.

I blushed once more.

"Maybe you're right", I agreed with him and smirked, "And now I want you to finally kiss me, mister!"

"Well, if the lady's panting for me... How am I supposed to refuse?", he retorted and softly pressed his lips against mine, pulling my head towards his firmly.

I smiled immediately as I remembered that day. The day I moved in with Robert.

He emptied his glass and set it aside on the shelf next to him before he laid down on his side of the bed. Nervously, he looked around as if he was searching for something.

"Well", he mumbled then, making sure he was all on his own, "This might be insane but I guess I got nothing to lose, right?"

I laid down next to him, observing him closely. His hands shivered but I recognized he tried to regularize his breath.

"You know, I'll always love you, Kate", he continued quietly, "And every time people tell me to carry on, get over you and start dating other women again, all I can do is laugh. Because they don't have a clue. They don't know what it's like to love someone with all your heart. And moreover they have no clue what it means if that special someone is violently taken away from you. I can only assume this feeling must be close to getting your heart ripped out..."

He tried to fake a smile. I reached out for his hand, tears streaming down my cheeks.

"These other women... I recognize the way they look at me, how they're flirting with me", he explained and closed his eyes, trying to calm down, "But they're just thorns without a rose. I look at them and all I see is you. Actually, everywhere I go I see you. But that's just in my head, I guess..."

He sobbed and wiped away the tears in his eyes.

"I just wanted you to know..."

He forced himself to smile.

"It's okay, Robbie", I whispered, half smiling at him.

"The problem is just", he added after a short moment of hesitation, "I don't know what to fight for any longer. If there's no one to fight for, no one to live for... Why am I supposed to stay here? The only two persons in my life I've ever truly loved are gone..."

"Because there are still many people counting on you, Robbie", I replied immediately, "I count on you, Robbie. Liz counts on you. Tom counts on you. Not to forget about all your fans who are still looking up to you, admiring you. Please just don't give up. Don't lose your hope."

He buried his head in his hands.

How I wished he could he me!