Chapter 35: Truth Be Told

It was about 10 o'clock the next morning when Robert slowly opened his eyes, moaning quietly.

Beacons of light shining brightly through the windows of his chamber, making his caramel eyes sparkle like thousands of little diamonds at night.

Silently, he got up and drifted into the bathroom where he brushed his teeth, took a quick shower and got dressed.

Then, hesitantly, he strolled downstairs, scratching his head.

He uttered a sigh as he regarded the mess he had made. Broken bottles and glasses laying all over the ground, leaving puddles of alcohol behind.

"Why for gods sake do I have to be sober again?", he asked quietly and ran his fingers through his hair before he knelt down and started cleaning it up.

Suddenly, the door bell rang.

He looked up before he slowly walked through the hallway until he opened the door.

"Good morning", Liz greeted with a smile on her face.

Robert stared at her.

"What are you doing here?", he asked in confusion.

"We're going to help you tidy up", Tom said as he approached Liz on the stairs in front of the house, holding some trash bags in his hand.

"I thought you might need some help", she added and looked at me for a second.

Thankfully, I smiled back at her.

"You don't have to spend your time helping me clean the mess I've made while I was drunk", Robert countered seriously.

Liz looked at Tom who looked back at her.

Both of them shrugged.

"But we want to help you, Robert", Tom said then and entered the house without any further discussion.

Robert jokingly rolled his eyes and opened the door a little more to let Liz in.

Hesitantly, she reached out for his arm.

"Are you okay?", she asked hesitantly.

But he nodded quickly.

"Yeah, I'm okay", he replied and smiled weakly, "Kinda... Relieved."

And I trusted him. Those words seemed to be honest. And there was something about his body language, his attitude, the expression in his eyes that told me he was telling the truth.

"You know, you can always talk to me, Robert", Liz suggested then, "I keep repeating myself but I care about you. And I hope- after all- you can still trust me."

Her eyes were filled with anticipation as he looked up to Robert, waiting for him to reply.

"I do trust you", he replied eventually, slowly walking through the hallway to approach Tom who was already tidying up in the living room, "You're probably the only one I'm trusting at the moment. Although we might have had a bad start..."

Immediately, she started to laugh and after a moment of hesitation, Robert laughed with her.

"Believe me, most people who come to my practice the first time have a bad start", she explained jokingly, "I'm a psychiatrist, nobody likes to pay me a visit."

"Well, it was Tom who convinced me to get an appointment", Robert added, "He had advised me to pay you a visit."

She looked at him in surprise.

"Really?", she asked then.

He nodded quickly.

"Yeah, he's a good friend", he mumbled quietly, "He had always cared for me after our accident and I-... I've treated him so bad. Sometimes I wonder why he still forgives me after all that I've said and done."