Chapter 22: The Book Of Love

I hung up the phone and apathetically stared across the city where I saw all the beautiful lights above us when I leaned over the railing of the balcony.

Suddenly, Robert approached me and gently wrapped his arms around my waist from behind, covering his head in my neck where I felt his soft kisses.

I closed my eyes and enjoyed every touch of him.

"I love you", he whispered quietly as I caressed his cheek.

But I didn't say a word. I didn't answer him. I just enjoyed the wonderful moment we shared as long as it lasted.

"What's up with you?", he asked then and reached out for my hands, pressing them against his chest where I felt his steady heartbeat, "Who's been on the phone?"

I swallowed hard and took a deep breath.

"My mom", I answered then and looked up to him, "She wants to meet the man I've thrown my life away for."

He chuckled to cover his insecurity.

"Robert?", Liz tried to wake him up and sat down on the chair next to his bed.

He moaned quietly and slowly opened his eyes.

"What?", he muttered impolitely and tried to run his fingers through his hair until he realized he was still fixated.

"I'm sorry for my behavior earlier", she apologized then, "It's just... Everything reminded me of some events that happened when I was young. But I'm a professional and that shouldn't happen. That's why I'm sorry, Robert."

"That's not the first time someone has shouted at me", he countered sarcastically.

She coughed slightly.

"How do you feel now?", she asked and moved to the edge of her seat, folding her hands in her lap.

He chuckled.

"I feel like some wild animal, trapped in a cage", he mumbled and sighed, rolling his eyes.

Liz nodded slightly and quickly looked at me before she looked back at Robert.

"What have you done earlier?", she wanted to know, "What have you done before your little incident happened?"

He stared out of the window where the sun was about to rise and the clouds looked like a sea of colors.

"I was with her", he replied then, "I was at the cemetery and visited Kate."

Liz seemed to be proud of him, according to the weak smile on her lips.

"Did you talk to her?"

"I talked to her gravestone, doc", Robert corrected her and raised his eyebrows, regarding the circling birds outside.

"How did you feel?", she wanted to know.

"I talked to her gravestone", he repeated and enhanced every single word, "I felt like I was absolutely crazy, almost insane. And if someone would have seen me, well..."

He shrugged.

"Don't you think Kate is listening to you?", she asked then.

"I don't think so, doc", he replied quietly, "I don't think she's listening to me and my problems..."

Immediately, I reached out for his hands.

"I do, Robbie", I countered, "I'm always with you!"

Liz quickly looked at me, a sorrowful expression in her eyes.