Chapter 7: Demons

I laid down right next to Robert, watching his chest slowly move up and down. His caramel eyes stared at the ceiling, nervously playing with his hands.

Obviously, he was afraid to close his eyes, still afraid of the night. Afraid to be surrounded by darkness and the demons that haunted him in his dreams.

"Remember what Liz said?", I whispered, softly running my fingers through his hair, "Think of the good times, Robert. I know it's easier said than done but you have to try. I'll be right here. I'll always be."

I almost believed myself saying those words. But there was going to be a day, sooner or later, I would no longer be able to keep my promise. Up until then, I'd be his guardian, protecting him of his self created demons.

Finally, he closed his eyes. His whole body tensed up.

"Don't be afraid", I mumbled quietly, caressing his cheeks, "Nothing's going to hurt you, Robbie. They can't hurt you."

I gently caressed his arm, feeling his whole body shivering.

"Where's my wife?", Robert shouted at the doctor who had just entered his room, "Where the hell is my wife?"

"Mr. Downey", the doctor tried to explain, his voice was calm, "I'm sorry but..."

Robert shook his head, his heart beating rapidly.

"No", he mumbled and clenched his fists, "Don't say that!"

He bit his bottom lip, fighting against the upcoming tears in his eyes.

"I'm sorry to tell you, sir, but unfortunately", the doctor continued carefully, "Your wife was dead at the scene. I'm sorry, Mr. Downey."

He shook his head like he could just make the doctor's words unspoken again. But the tears already ran down his cheeks.

"Robert", I mumbled and recognized my eyes filling with tears as well.

Immediately, he turned around and the doctor disappeared.

"Kate?", he said in surprise and wiped away his tears, "He said you're..."

"Dead", I completed his sentence and half smiled at him, "Yeah, that's true."

He stared at me in confusion as I came closer towards him.

"Do you remember what Liz has told you?", I asked softly, reaching out for his hands.

He stared at me intensely but didn't answer me.

"Don't be afraid, Robbie", I whispered and stroked the back of his hand, "This is just a dream."

"I don't want this to be a dream", he countered finally and gently touched my cheek, wiping away my tears with his thumb.

Feeling his touch again made me tremble. I smiled at him.

"Gosh, you're so beautiful", he mumbled and ran his fingers through my hair.

Immediately, I blushed.

"I'm so sorry, Kate", he apologized, "I didn't want this to happen..."

"Shh", I stopped him and placed my finger on his lips, "I know, Robert, I know."

I softly caressed his cheek, looking right into his caramel puppy eyes I've never been able to resist.

"I know you're blaming yourself for the events that night", I continued whispering in his ear, "Don't do that."

I gently kissed his cheek.

"I love you", I added quietly, "And don't worry about me. I'm okay. And I'm always here for you, Robbie. I'll always be."

I recognized his body relaxing again. Immediately, I smiled at him, sleeping next to me. This was actually the first time I was able to interact with him in his dreams.

"I love you", I repeated, knowing he couldn't hear me anyway, softly kissing his cheek.

And for a second, I thought I recognized a glimpse of a smile on his lips that would have made my heart skip a beat if I was still alive.

But unfortunately, I wasn't.

I would have done everything to come back for just five minutes. If I was able to sense him, really, or even kiss him. If I could reassure him I was okay, not blaming him for anything...

Yeah, that would have been great.