Chapter 34: A Long Road Up To Recovery

Robert sat on the hospital bed at the ER, Liz standing beside him as they were waiting for the doctor to approach them.

His hands shivered slightly what didn't escape her notice.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

I sat down next to him, wrapping my arms around him tightly as I leaned my head against his shoulder and reached out for his hand.

"Don't be afraid, Robbie", I whispered into his ear, softly kissing his temples, "No one's going to harm you this time."

Liz quickly looked at me but I stayed with Robert this time. I was going to explain everything to her later.

Suddenly, the door opened and a young woman with golden angel curls and bright blue eyes, wearing a light blue scrub, a lab coat and a stethoscope around her neck, entered the room.

"Mr. Downey", she said, her voice bright and welcoming, "I'm Clara Peters."

Robert nodded slightly and looked up to Liz again, unable to speak.

"Hey Clara", Liz greeted with a weak smile on her lips, "Could you take a look at his hands? Those wounds, well... I think they look good but maybe you could stitch them."

The doctor nodded quickly and immediately grabbed his hands to regard those scars.

"In fact, they look good", she agreed then, "I'm going to stitch them as you said."

"Thanks", Liz replied and looked back at Robert, "I'll wait outside."

"Sure", he murmured scarcely audible before she exited the room, leaving Robert and Clara behind.

Immediately, she sat down on a chair in front of him and started to do her work.

"So", she started a conversation, "Are you a friend of Liz?"

Robert nodded silently, avoiding her gaze. He had do control himself immensely, keeping his hands from shivering while the young doctor stitched up his wounds.

"Oh, no need to worry", she assured him after a moment of silence, "I won't tell anyone about this."

He swallowed hard.

"Thanks", he replied then, almost inaudibly, "And I-... I didn't mean to be rude..."

She chuckled quietly.

"I never thought you were rude", she countered and smiled at him, "And see? We're already done!"

Robert smiled weakly as she threw her gloves into the bin.

"I'm not going to write anything into your medical file", she explained then, "You can go home and we can pretend none of this has happened. What do you think?"

He nodded slightly as both of them got up.

"Yeah, sounds like a plan", he agreed with her, faking a smile as he nervously rubbed his hands, "And thank you, for your reticence."

She chuckled and ran her fingers through her hair.

"Well, I hope we don't have to meet again", she said goodbye and offered him his hand.

Robert nodded once again and grabbed her hand as he said goodbye and exited the room to join Liz in the hallway.

"Are you alright?", she asked immediately.

"I'm fine", he mumbled and passed by, running his fingers through his messy dark brown hair, "Could you bring me back home, please?"

"Sure", she agreed and shrugged, "Of course I will, Robert."