Chapter 26: What If...

The human life is made up of choices. Every day, we make decisions and each of them affects our further life. Yes or no? In or out? Up or down? But then there are the important ones, the choices that matter: to love or hate, to be a hero or to be a coward, to fight or to give in, to live or die... Live or die. That's without a doubt the most important choice, and it's not always in our hands.

What if the kid didn't cross the street?

What if the woman didn't fall?

What if the man had seen the car that was about to crash into his own earlier?

Decisions over decisions that define who we are.

But what happens if we make a wrong choice? What happens if we made a different choice?

What if Grace didn't die? Would we still be a happy little family? Would I still be alive?

Robert gently stroked my belly as I laid in the hospital bed, anxiously looking up to him, a heartwarming smile on his lips.

He reached out for my hand, softly kissing my knuckles.

I blushed immediately.

"Soon, our little princess will be born", he said, never keeping his eyes off me, "And we'll have our own little family."

I smiled slightly and gently caressed his cheek.

"You know, every time we're here I feel uncomfortable", I mumbled nervously, "Although Grace's birth was uncomplicated I'm afraid something might be wrong this time..."

"Shh", Robert whispered and placed his lips on mine, "Everything will be alright. I promise you. Everything will be fine just like the last time."

Then, he faced my belly.

"And you, little girl, you're going to love your mother. You're going to love her just as much as I do", he said to our unborn girl, "She's a good one."

I giggled quietly.

Suddenly, the door opened and Dr. Montgomery entered the room with a smile on her lips.

"Good news, Mr. and Mrs. Downey", she said, "Your little girl is healthy and everything's just as it's supposed to be. Congratulations! I guess, I'll see you in a few weeks when it's time, right?"

I nodded quickly.

"Yes, that are indeed great news", Robert agreed and looked at me, smiling from one ear to another, "See? I told you, she was alright. And now come on, Grace is still waiting for us outside."

"Yeah", I said and slowly got up.

Robert helped me to put on my shoes because I couldn't see my feet any longer. He kissed me again and grabbed my hand, leading me out of the hospital, wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

As soon as we stepped outside, we were surrounded by a bunch of paparazzi, each of them trying to get the best picture of us.

I smiled for the cameras, like I always did.

Robert gently kissed my cheek while his hand rested on my belly like he wanted to protect our unborn girl.

We made our way through the crowd until we finally reached the silver Audi R8 in the parking lot. Robert waved at them one last time before he opened the door for me so I could enter. Then, he walked around the car to sit down right next to me.

"Look at all those cameras and the flashlights", I heard her angels like voice from the backseat.

I turned around and recognized Grace pressing her little snub nose against the windowpane, regarding all those people outside.