Bags

Being a lawyer was a very draining job. There was so much work involved, so many rules you had to follow, and the more complicated the case was, the worse things became. Sam knew this well, but he hadn't really felt the strain of his job much. He didn't take many complicated cases, and the one that he did were always about helping people. It was hard to feel drained in a job you loved when you were helping good people. And even when he did feel overworked, Gabriel was always there to distract him and cheer him up. They had a system for making sure they didn't overwork themselves.

But then Sam had gotten a job at a new law firm. It was a nice firm, and it certainly paid better than the last place he had worked for, but there was one thing Sam hated about it. As the new guy, everyone in the firm decided that he needed to take on all the cases no one else wanted. He had no rank in the firm, not yet, so there was no way he could say no.

But that lead to Sam doing five times the amount of cases he normally would, and a lot of them were cases he never would have agreed to. Suddenly he was representing people that he knew were in the wrong, cases that he knew he would lose. But he still had to try and win them. That's when the strain of being a lawyer kicked in. Overnight, he was drowning in paperwork, case files, and opening statements. It was a nightmare, and even Gabriel couldn't help ease the weight that had fallen on him.

Gabriel felt awful about it, of course. But he had tried everything he knew to help, and Sam had assured him that once his cases were over, he'd go back to normal, so Gabe tried not to worry. But he knew his moose was upset, so he decided to do the only thing he knew would always make Sam feel better.

He wanted to go out and buy a ton of candy, salads, and other junk and movies so that they could take a day after Sam's cases were over and just veg. It sounded like a great idea, but the problem was shopping bags. 

Since a new tax had been passed in the state, you had to pay for grocery bags. And nobody was gonna do that, so everyone just brought their own. Gabriel, of course, had lost all the bags he'd had, so he went to Sam. Sam, who was hunched over his desk, utterly exhausted from learning a whole new case overnight.

"Hey," Gabriel offered, giving him a smile. "Do you have a bag I can borrow?" 

Slowly, ever so slowly, Sam looked up at him, the perfect picture of someone desperately deprived of all sleep and coffee, a dangerous combination.

"The only bags I have are the ones under my eyes, and they're specifically designed to carry the burden of my existence." He said calmly. He and Gabriel stared at each other.

"....Literally all you had to say was no."

"NO." Gabriel ran away at the scary voice tone. He could carry the candy, that would be fine.