Ch 12

"My mother warned me about boys like you," I laughed as Opie walked me home from the dinner. I was beginning to think that we were no longer being stood up by Tara and Jaxon but instead he had stopped inviting them.

"Boys like me?" He raised his eyebrow pulling us to a stop and placing his hands on my hips. A devilish grin covered his lips as he toward over me. "And what's your opinion on boys like me?"

"That you're worth the risk."

"What risk is that?"

I felt my cheeks grow warm as o debated telling him the truth. The risk was him breaking my heart. I stared up at him a moment longer before looking down at my feet. "Having my heart broken." Opie leaned in before I could say more. His lips on mine made me question if I had ever actually been kissed before. This was different. This was pure. This as scared as I was to think it...this was love. I pulled away from him in order to catch my breath.

"I won't break your heart okay." He pecked the top of my head and began to start walking again. I knew he wasn't lying when he said that which made me think my mother was wrong. Or at least it made me hope she was.

Watching as Abel sat on top of Cocos motorbike made my heart stop. Our relationship hadn't evolved past hand holding and the odd forehead or cheek kiss but yet I was surrounded by a cloud of euphoria. There was no pressure for more. It was like a silent understanding that when I was ready I would initiate more and for that I was thankful.
"Auntie look at me!" Abel shouted. "I'm just like daddy!" I look over at Wendy who was beaming at her son. "Moma says I'm growing up to fast tell her she's silly!" The boy shook his head as Coco helped him down so he could run over to me. I scooped him up and spun him around causing him to erupt in laughter.

"But she's right my sweet you are growing up to quickly. You need to stop and smell the roses okay," I kissed his forehead before setting him back down so he could run around with his brother again. I walked over to coco wrapping my arms around his waist and leaning my head on his shoulder.

"What are you thinking about amor?" He questioned.

"How my mother warned me about boys like you," I laughed.

"Oh did she now?" He spun me around.

"Of course she did, but I think it's worth the risk." I leaned into him our lips meeting for the first time. It wasn't the way Opie had kissed me. The sparks weren't as bright as they had been, but they were there. Like little flickers of light letting me know I was making the right choice. Love changes as you get older. It matures. It no longer hits you like a bag of bricks instead it knocks on your door and asks if it's okay to come in. I pulled away from Coco trying to catch my breath as I heard Angel mumble the word finally. Yes finally indeed.