18th November (1)

18th November   7:00 AM    MY TERRITORY!

Yesterday night was such a horrible night that I hoped to forget today when I woke up on the couch in the living room. I ached all over as a result of sleeping on the wrong sides of my body. My neck needed a good massage. But who would give it? I was a despicable element in the house that everybody wanted to avoid. In just a matter of hours I had become the most hated creature on earth.

Oh, why me?

I stretched out and yawned. It was full blown morning so I expected to see someone in just a matter of time. It was kelvin. He was dressed up work already, which meant I had to hurry up with mine before he left without me.

“Kelvin, I would be ready in a minute. You should have woken me up” I said with enthusiasm. Somehow I wanted to feel like all was right again and that it was a nightmare I lived in minutes ago. However something made me stop in my steps. Something about the look on Kelvin’s face siphoned all my joy and zeal out of me and I bare was again, crowned with same and enthroned in scorn.

“Kelvin…” I began to speak in a sullen voice. “Kelvin…”

“You are to keep watch over Harrison all day and minister to him whatever he needs. The vet will be here this morning to check up on him.” Kelvin said in deep uncompromisingly chilled voice which nearly made me cry. I had lost kelvin. He did not sound right to me at all. He appeared to me as a master other than the family I knew him to be.

“But…’ I tried to protest. “But, won’t I go to the office with you?”

“No. From now onwards, there will be nothing like such. I’ll put up for adoption by any home that needs a cat through the newspaper today, so possibly you will be leaving this house very soon”

“What? W-H-A-T??? You cannot do that, can you?” I asked in shock.

“Ofcourse, that is what I intend doing”

“kelvin…” I said, running to hug his right leg but he shoved me off and started towards the door. I ran to the door and called out his name once… twice… but there was no response.

His car drove off!

With my head low, I walked into the corridor that leaded into the bedrooms. I needed a proper rest. I felt sleepy and tired. I needed rest to prune away the sadness that had me in its claws. Entering my room, I saw something that surprised me and doubled my heart beat twice the regular.

Harrison slept on my bed!

I screamed.

‘What the hell do you think you are doing on my bed, you filthy cat!” I spat out.

Harrison turned on his side and revealed a withered face, fur almost disappeared from his body and skin totally bare. I nearly screamed in shock. Harrison smiled when he saw the shock on my face.

“I look awful, right?” Harrison asked. “You did this to me. So you have to bare the sight of me with pleasure. Now, what did you say? Oh, why am I on your bed? Kelvin says this is now my sleeping place”

“This is my room and my bed. You can’t take it!”

“You have no place in this house anymore, Ofori. You are going to be put out for adoption and sooner than later, you will be gone, so stop being possessive. There is nothing to possess.” Harrison said.

“kelvin is not going to give me out. He’s just annoyed with me for what happened. I did not try to poison you.”

“Are you trying to persuade me or what? I cannot be persuaded, please. You tried to poison me. Akua saw it.”

“What I put in your food was a purgative powder, not a shaving powder. You have to believe me.”

“Then who put the shaving powder if it was not you?”

“I simply have no idea”

“You are a pathetic bad liar! Now, get me breakfast!”

‘I will not get you anything! You get it yourself”

“kelvin commanded this”

“To hell with that command. No one orders me. He knows that already!”

“Oh, really? He will hear about this”

“Tell me for all I care. I will not serve you breakfast. You will have to do that yourself. And you better get out of this bed and my room before I get even worse than ever. I will not allow you to take everything that belongs to me in just seven days of appearing here. You are your sick sister will have to leave or die at my hands if you decede not to.”

“Is that a threat?”

“It’s a serious warning, and I hope you take it serious. Now, get out of my room. I need my beauty sleep before I go out” I said, throwing all caution to the wind.

“Looks like you don’t care anymore.”

“Why should I care?”

“Kelvin will hear every word you have said”

“Get out!”

Harrison got his rack of bones out of my comfortable bed and left, dragging his feet. The shaving had done a lot of harm to him. His fur had withered in almost every part of his body. He had lost weight drastically. He had also some unhealthy colour all over him. Whoever had administered the poison knew what he or she was about. It was death for Harrison but for the vet’s early intervention.

Who could have done that?

I had to find out but not after my beauty sleep. I still needed to look healthy even as I thought of going to see Darling at the restaurant. However Sheila crossed my mind immediately my thought settled. It was amazing how I had quickly brushed her away from my mind and heart.

I fell on my bed and closed my eyes.

Sooner the potential murderer of Harrison would be caught and guess it was.