Chapter 22

The following morning after the three of us had finished our usual morning routine in silence, we all headed down for breakfast.

No one had yet mentioned everything that had been revealed the night before. But we all knew that discussion was coming.

There was an overall feeling of excitement that hit us as we entered the dining room, tonight was the annual Luna festival that everyone had been looking forward to after all. There was lots of barely contained excitement and energy present in the members of the pack, particularly the younger members.

After doing the usual morning greetings and loading our plates with all the food available at the morning buffet Grace lead Detsy and I to a spare small table in the corner. It was only meant to seat two people but we didn't mind sharing the small tabletop as it meant that no one would be interrupting us by sitting down.

"So I have a few questions about last night." Grace said through the mind link at the same time as she innocently chewed a piece of crispy bacon.

"Me to." Detsy added, also through the mind link. It was safer than trying to discuss this out loud after all.

"What would you like to know my dears?" Aurora replied to my mates.

Grace went first. "I have two questions. The first question is that if all of the werewolves are bound to actual wolves from a different dimension, then why haven't our wolves told us?"

"That's actually really easy to answer." Aurora said. "You're wolves don't inform you that they're living beings instead of voices in your head because they aren't aware of the bond themselves. To them the werewolves here are just voices in their heads."

"Ok then," Grace seemed satisfied with the answer. "My second question is that if you need two souls from different planes of existence to create a werewolf, how have the Royals been occasionally creating new werewolves for the past 5,000 years?"

"To create a new werewolf is actually one of the most difficult abilities Eva and I possess. In order to achieve a successful bond Eva has to manage the soul on this side whereas I have to find a willing soul to be bonded in the other dimension. Then we need to work to bring them together and bond them." Aurora explained. "As complicated as that is, there is also lots of rules that govern what can and can't be safely done. Playing with a person's soul can be extremely dangerous if you don't know what you're doing after all."

"Ok that makes sense." Grace said as she shoveled more food into her mouth while she spoke to Aurora through the mind link. "What sort of rules exist for this process? It seems to me that no one would want to refuse the benefits that comes with being bonded to a wolf."

"You are right Grace. However in order for this process to work, both parties need to cooperate with us. Which means explaining to them exactly what's happening. All sired werewolves that have ever been created know the truth of the werewolf origins." Aurora said to Grace as she gave me a mental nudge to hurry up and finish the sausages so we could get to the bacon.

"As for the rules, they're there to keep people safe. For example we cannot bond someone that wouldn't have had their first shift. If you try and force the connection when both the minds aren't ready for it, it will destroy the mind and soul of the individual in the dimension where the bond is being formed. The force of this will split the remaining individuals soul in half as the body with the destroyed soul attempts to stay alive by filling itself with a soul. The result is a person who is alive, but not truly there. Imagine someone that had half of their brain suddenly stop working. It's not a pretty picture." Aurora and I shuddered at the very thought of someone having to go through that. Grace and Detsy looked horrified.