Chapter 32

I dedicate this chapter to all the coffee that was sacrificed in it's making.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The police representative came to the pack house the next day. She was incredibly apologetic about the ambush on the pack house and managed to take our statements smoothly.

Before heading into a private meeting with Alpha Leyton to discuss reimbursement for damages the pack obtained in the raid. The lieutenant informed everyone that Saffron's parents had not only been arrested for fraud, but after they interviewed them they also added the charge of attempting to sell their daughter for profit, otherwise known as slavery.

Apparently they had been very adamant in telling the police that they needed to bring Saffron home, so she could do her 'duty' to the family by marrying whom they picked for her. The fact that Saffron is a mated and sired werewolf is proof that they basically want to sell their daughter for the success of their family. I grew up as a natural wolf and even I knew how medieval that was.

I was also told that as Saffron's sire, I was expected to give testimony when the case went to court. I knew basically nothing about the human justice system other than, if you do bad things then the cops show up to take you away for a while. Although I'd been told that the justice system was unnecessarily complicated. Needless to say I was quite nervous about having to go to the court. At least the date had been set for a few months from now and not tomorrow.

Over the next two days the excitement of the police raid disappeared and we settled back into our routine of training and preparing for war. So far we haven't heard anything about any potential locations of Prince Rodney or his army. Although every werewolf and even a lot of humans had their opinions of where the enemy was holed up.

At least today was the day that Beverly and Dasir came home from their stay at Beverly's parents place. Even though she'd only been gone for a few days and missed the raid on the pack house, I knew that Derrick and I were really looking forward to her coming home so she could distract Saffron for us.

Derrick, Saffron, myself and both of my mates were waiting on the front steps of the pack house as Beverly's car, being driven by her father, finally came into view. At the sight Saffron finally stopped bobbing up and down on the spot so she could run at her incoming friend.

Beverly barely had time to exit the car before she had a face full of newly minted werewolf catching her for a hug before grabbing her under the arms and spinning her in a circle.

"I'm glad you're home." Saffron informed her friend before rubbing her cheek along Beverly's, causing everyone except Eva to groan.

"What's the big deal?" I asked in quiet confusion to the group around me.

"When we are young, werewolves spend a lot of time being taught how to be 'civilized'." Grace informed me as Detsy decided to stand behind me and pull me into her. "What that means is we're taught how to suppress some of our more animal-like tendencies so we can relate to the human population better. However when we see another werewolf not following those teachings, it makes us want to revert to our animal tendencies as well."

"Ah," I responded to my mate in sympathy. "I suppose that makes sense. Does that mean that Saffron will need to be taug-."

My question was cut off suddenly as a sky blue dragon, now the size of a medium sized dog, came flying at me so fast I couldn't make out more than his general outline before Dasir crashed into me at full speed.

It was only a combination of my strength, reflexes and Detsy holding me that allowed both my mate and I to keep our feet and not get barreled over.