Chapter 8

Later that night, I sit on the edge of my bed and skim through the albums once again. I touch their faces (in a not creepy way) trying to feel happy for mum because at least there is a point in her life that a man made her feel like she's the happiest woman on earth. Mum was truly happy, until those dark times came. God knows what those dark times are. I don't remember sitting with mother, talking about our family. She never mentions dad anymore which I completely understand and I'm sure as hell she didn't mention any sibling. I don't know how I'm going to start telling mum. Before making moves on my own, I must know the truth first.

"Andrew! Dinner is ready!" Mum calls from downstairs.

"Coming!" I shout back.

I shove the albums under the mattress and went to the kitchen. Mum and I were settled in our seats and I started eating. Now every time I see mum, all I see is her happy face in those albums when my older sister was born and how she didn't tell about it. Did she think I know about my sister? I noticed that mum looks more tired than usual. Her dark grey shirt shows off the huge circle of sweat and I can hear her catching her breath.

"You need to sit down and rest, mum."

Mum laughed tiredly. "This house can be quite a handful. And the weather is really warm today. Have a seat." Her tone tells me to stop asking questions.

My huge phone is poking my thigh as I sit. So I remove it and the pink paper that Bree gave me flew away. It was in my pocket because I was planning to throw it before I go home. Idiot Drew forgot to do so.

"What's this, honey?" She picks it up and examines it.

"A volleyball player invited me to watch their competition tomorrow. I told her I'll think about it, but I'm not really going."

Mum handed me back the paper. "Oh why ever not, honey? You could meet new people, get to see new places."

I shake my head. If she only you. "Some other time, mum. I prefer hanging out with Henry and Lorrie."

"But did they get any invites, too?"

"They did, but they're not going. Laziness struck them, I guess." I tear the pink paper under the table and place it under my plate. Mum doesn't notice. "I have a new friend." I tell her so she'll stop asking more about that competition.

"That's great. What's his name?"

"It's a she actually. Her name is Andrea. I saw when Lorrie and I were at the park that day. She is my classmate."

"How lovely. She has a beautiful name, too."

Mum said the weather is a little warm today. Then why is my body freezing? "I better get to my room. I have few more homework to finish."

"Yeah, sure. Leave your plate in the sink."

I do what I was told then kiss her goodnight. When I reach my room, I tear the pink paper even more and threw it. She could give the ticket to someone who actually likes her.

. . . . . . .

Since I already finished my last cereal box last time, I'm going with canned tuna, wheat bread, and another poorly made orange juice. I don't really have a thing with making powdered beverages. I went to couch and there I ate breakfast. I hear mum in the backyard, mowing the grass. I savor the brackish tuna and munch the wheat bread. I sip my orange juice and my face contorts with its nasty taste. If I don't know how to cook, I might as well not complain. I lick the tuna from my forefinger then proceeded in the bathroom. Since I finished my homework last night, I'm planning to stroll around the neighborhood. There is too much to see here. I might have to bring mum along if she wants. The other reason why I want to go out is because the albums' secrets weighing down on me. It's too much.