Chapter 23

"I've only been to this place once, but I know you must pass those trees before the house will show up." The driver said in his raspy, deep voice. Mum said thanks we stepped out the cab.

When we reached Dean's house, I felt like the trip lasted for seconds. I checked my watch and see that we drove for about five minutes or more. It took me minutes to adjust my eyes in the darkness. There are only few streetlamps around the vicinity and the spot where we are doesn't get much light. I noticed that you can't see Dean's house right away but you need to go in what looks like a dark forest and his house is somewhere behind it. Smoke going out from behind the trees tells that I'm right and somebody's at home.

I don't know about mum but I felt the sudden heat in the air. My body is starting to warm up and I can feel the fever coming up. My palms and back is sweating and I never felt more nervous in my entire life. I felt sick and nauseated but I just swallowed all those down and told myself to be dauntless. Do this for mum, Althea, for our family. Mum and I looked at each other and stepped into the woods together.

Being swallowed by these dark woods, fallen desiccated twigs and hooting owls greeting you, made me think about my life again. When I was in middle school, I used to think about a premonition that someday, something horrendous and menacing will happen in some point of my life and it may kill me. The outcome however, will be great. Greater than wealth actually. Maybe the premonition I'm talking about is now. As I walk closer to Dean's house, the chance of getting Althea out is the great result. A complete family is greater than wealth, right? For more than ten years, I was content with what I have in my life. I may not have a dad, but I've got mum, a good school, good grades, good friends, safe house, and all those other things. It's like a have perfect life. Mum is so protective of me I can only count the times when I was afraid, or sad or angry. Whenever something happens, she hugs and kisses me and tells me to leave it her. I seldom leave the house and I know I never kept a secret from her. Mum knows me too well. I was a happy kid that has a sort of perfect life, but I was looking for something more. An adventure maybe or something that will give me a little challenge? That's a light way to say it.

I thought moving to America is just another part of my "good" life. But somehow felt a change. It was a new beginning somehow. I am suddenly thankful that I lived here. I haven't been living here too long but I already felt true sadness, true anger, true happiness, true betrayal and true fear....

"Keep it down, Drew." Mum commanded. I am making too much noise by stepping on the twigs. I was too distracted.

"Sorry." I whisper. I try to avoid twigs this time.

We finally see the house for the first time. It looks so sad and all the windows are closed and the curtains makes it hard to see if there if the lights are open inside. We hid behind the nearest tree and thought about the next plan. Mum gestured that we go to the back door. Mum and I hid our guns at the back of our jeans and proceeded at the back door. We hid once again to the trees to ready ourselves. I brought my backpack with me, but I decided to leave it because it might slow me down. I have my wallet in there but I 'm pretty sure thieves will find it useless. I tell mum that I'm ready and she gave me a tight smile.

She hugged me. "I love you, Andrew, whatever happens. Take of yourself, okay? I hope you forgive me." She whispered. Her voice is breaking.

"I already did." I say, trying to fight back tears.

We hold our guns firmly in our hands and walk slowly to the door. I never held a gun before. I try not think about whether I'm gonna even have the courage to shoot or think if the gun even have bullets. I guess it doesn't matter now. Mum went to the side of the door and tried the door. It's unlocked. I should be happy that the door is unlocked and we can easily slip in, but it terrifies me. Why would they leave it unlocked? Does it mean they are expecting us and already made a trap? I wipe my sweaty hands before volunteering to enter first. This is my chance to be a man and protect mum before myself. I entered slowly and all complete darkness greeted me. The smell of a very old lady is strong. I opened the door wider and the moonlight shone inside. There's a sink full of plates with unfinished food and silverwares. Mum and I went inside leaving the door wide open and something cracked under my foot. My forced my eyes to adjust around the darkness and finally see that the kitchen floor has broken plates and glass. The counter top beside the sink is covered in sanitary wipes that has blood stains on it. Something happened in the kitchen obviously. I ignored the sudden pain in my chest and my dizziness and proceeded without looking at mum to avoid distractions.