Chapter 16

While mum and Althea have their moment, I went around the house and made sure all curtains are closed and the doors closed, even the small window in the kitchen. When I return to the living room, I sat on the couch with a grin on my face. I forget about everything.

"Sweetheart, are you okay?" Mum rubs her arms and checks her from head to toe. "Are you sick? Do you need anything?" She asks. Mum is still crying.

Althea held mum's shoulders. "I'm fine mum, I promise. Everything is alright." I hear her stifle a sob. "Except that I miss you terribly."

Mum hugged her tighter. "I'm here, okay? Nothing else matters anymore. Good lord," she holds Althea's cheeks gently, "is that really you?" She whispers.

Althea nods and cries harder. I can't imagine seeing her cry this hard because on the outside, I always see is a woman who is tough and as if crying is not her vocabulary. But now she looks vulnerable and feeble and only a mother's love can cure it.

And mum. Her newfound exultation fills the entire house. Her heart laden with grief, despair, and guilt seem to vanish. All it took was a hug from Althea. When Althea calmed down, mum turned to me so I stood up.

"Andrew, sweetie, I can't thank you enough, but how?"

I hug her tight, completely ignoring the question. "No need to thank me, mum. I did it for all of us." Althea joined the hug. This doesn't get any better.

Mum held Al's face with her two hands and kissed her cheek before going inside the kitchen. Al and I sat on the couch while listening to mum preparing something.

Althea leans to me, all her tears gone. "Should I tell about Ana?" She starts fiddling with her jeans.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Do you really think mum can contain herself and NOT call the police? And then what? Dean will know you turned against him and send his men to hunt us and most likely burn this house down?"

Althea still looks troubled but nodded. "But what if mum demands answers?" She asked warily.

"I hope you two are hungry!" I was cut off with mum's voice. She still sounds too happy to ask us questions but I know it won't last long.

What IF mum demands answers? What is the proper response for now? I don't know if mum is going to let us pass this. How can we let her understand that this is not easy for us as well? We needed time and mum needs to wait. I know I hate it when I keep mum waiting, but this time, it's for her own good.

Mum set the tray on top of the coffee table. The tray is full of buttered cookies, few chocolates nougats, and three cups full of steaming tea. Mum sat beside Althea and squeezed her knee.

"Eat as many as you want, sweetie."

"Thank you so much, mum." Mum closed her eyes as if savoring the way Althea called her.

Althea and I started with cookies. I didn't even know mum bought these cookies. If I knew anyway I would have finished the box in less than an hour. Mum only starred at us and couldn't stop smiling. She sipped from her tea and her smile faltered. She put down the cup.

"Althea," mum called softly, "I want you to tell everything."

I felt Althea look at me for help. I didn't return the look to let mum think I didn't know any of this. In fact, I still do not know why Ana stole Althea. Only Al or Ana could tell me the answer. "Mum, please stop worrying, okay? Look at me. I'm fine." Althea replied.

Mum sighed and looked away. "Althea, we can't just let them get away with this." She said assertively. "Sweetheart, I know you just came but we have to get this over with."