Chapter 9

I am inside an unfamiliar house. Specifically, I am in a living room. The room is dimly lit because the source of light is the single light bulb atop of my head. I have this uncomfortable feeling of vertigo. That feeling like my body is in underwater. The things around me are fuzzy and those corners that the light can't reach are pitch black. The house smells like rotten eggs mixed with old people's perfumes. My skin is crawling when I saw the stuffed bear, dear, and ram head on the wall in front of me clearly. Then I went stiff when I suddenly heard whispers.

"You stole her!" The whispers were angry and they sound like they were accusing me.

I keep my head turning and to find where the noise is coming from. Did it come from the bloody bear head? I heard the whispers near it, though. I approach the dark corner near the bear head slowly. Slowly......................

"You killed him!"

An old woman jumps out of the dark corner and tries to claw my face. I grab her wrists trying to keep her hands off my face. She looks very frail and pale. Her hair is tied back in a bun and she wears this dress that looks like it's covered with dust. The wrinkles on her face are drooping and her eyes are bloodred. My arms are strained. She's quite strong for an old lady.

"You killed him!" She screamed again.

"You will not take her away again! You kidnapped her!" I screamed in pain. Kidnapped who? I have no idea what I'm screaming, but it came out if my mouth naturally.

"I did that to let you know what it feels like living without someone you care about! Someone you love!" She still continues to fight and I keep on fighting back.

"It was an accident! Why will I even kill him?" Killed who? If only I can ask myself.

"You and your lies again!" She rebuked. "You are the reason why I'm like this. You killed him!" She removed her left hand out of my grasp and raised her hand to claw me. The moment her red and claw-like fingernails touch my face-

I woke up with my own scream and touch my face harshly to check for scratches. The only scar I have is what I have on my head. My eyes wander around to see if there are any signs of the woman gone bonkers. Nothing but my scattered things on the floor and the deafening silence. The sun has not yet risen which means it must be four or five in the morning. I'm too afraid to sleep again. First, there was the blonde girl, second, the horrid flashbacks. Then this woman, whoever she was. With her frail face still fresh in my mind, I try my best to remember if we have such crazy relative like her. Not that I know of, no. I touch the scar of my head again. What could be the reason behind these nightmares? Does it have to do anything with mum?

I was so busy being scared that I jolted away from my alarm clock. I check the clock and its six forty seven. I didn't even know I fell asleep again. I can feel mum's absence and it woke me up even more. I ran to down to the kitchen and mum is indeed gone. I just ate my last piece of toast bread and drank my poorly made coffee before getting ready and walked to school. I walk now to my classroom and found an empty chair beside Deanna. We smiled at each other and before I could say something to her, Bree sat on my desk and crossed her legs. I don't know why she even talks to me. A while ago, I just saw her flirting with two guys outside the classroom.

"Seriously, Andrew? You missed the competition." She pouted. Her bright red devilish lips shine, almost as if her lips are dripping blood.

I shake my head and look down on the floor. I can't stand looking at her so close. "I'm sorry, okay? I had a family issue going on and I have to be there for my mum." I glance at her quickly.

"You'll make it up to me right?" She tries to hug me and her strong perfume is suffocating my nose. I automatically shield myself form her by raising my forearms.