Chapter 10

Another ill Monday morning and since mum, once again, isn't here, another ill- tasting breakfast. Ever since the album thing started, mum's been going to work earlier and has been going home late than she usually does. I settled myself with half burnt toast and warm milk now. I'm still not used to leaving home without a heavy breakfast and at least saying something to mother. My stomach growls every morning after my first class. It's a good thing I still have enough money to buy food. But it is still not normal.

Everything has to stop.

Mum and I should go back the way we used to be. Mum is gone every morning and she's too late at night. Sometimes I even think that she does that because she's avoiding me. She knows that if she's around, there is nothing I'll do but talk to her about it. Yesterday was Sunday, and it is strictly family time. Guess what, she's at work. "Work". I'm not sure if she's really there. I felt bad for a second because it's like I'm telling that my mum's a liar. I did nothing the entire day but go outside the house (did not see Andrea again. I'm not sure if I was either relieved or disappointed), re-read my old comic books, did my homework, and played video games while Henry is on the line asking if he can borrow some of my games. All of those things sum up my Sunday.

I'm an hour earlier in school today. Deanna texted me last night to do so and meet her at the school garden at the back of the school first thing in the morning. She said that she wanted to talk to me first because she was a little worried about me. I'm touched with her concern. I walk pass the hallway where I saw Andrea talking with her friends. I suddenly felt guilty and wanted to apologize to her. But really, did I do something wrong? All I wanted is to know her. She's the one with problem. Maybe I just have to understand Andrea. There are still things I didn't consider like, what if she has a memory loss or something is up with her family. I don't know. One thing I know is that I'm going to talk to her later. It's all just a big misunderstanding.

The cool breeze greeted me when I was walking towards the garden. The sun is already out, slowly making the breeze warm. I make my way to the entrance and there I see Deanna smelling the bright red roses. Her back is on me, but I know it is Deanna because the hair I see is luscious brown and those soft curls that make me want to comb it with my fingers all day. I cleared my throat softly and she turns and walks to me.

The garden is only place in school where it is very colorful and vibrant. The smell of the air is nothing but the aroma of wild flowers and the smell of trees. The garden is the school's prized possession Deanna says. It has different varieties of orchids and some rare flowers from other countries. I've heard that the garden is already here before the school was built so most of the trees here are very, very old. There's not much students in this place. The football field is where most students are.

"How are you, my lady?" I ask.

"I should be the one asking you that. But I'm fine, thank you, sir." Deanna grins. "How 'bout you?"

"Never better. You're right, this place is beautiful." We sat on the bench facing the pink carnations. The smell is intoxicating.

Deanna sighs. "I'm listening." She gives me what I think is a sad smile.

I took a deep breath and started telling her about my flashbacks first since that is pretty much where it all started. The car, the little girl, and the man but not the one where I saw Andrea in my dream. Deanna's eyes never left me. Next, I tell her about the trunk, the albums and the photographs I saw. I tell her all of these things with goose bumps on my skin and fear in my voice. When I paused to catch my breath, she took my hand and carefully caressed it. I do not tell her the things going on between mum and I and how she lied about the trunk. Telling her about the photographs is already too much for me and I feel like I'm already giving too much information. I never wanted to tell Deanna all of this. I know she is very caring person and I don't want her to worry about me. The thought of telling Henry about this is bothering me.