Chapter 79

Ivy's POV

Today was the first day of spring break, which also meant that Grayson is back. The past month has been very boring, school, home, surfing, that was pretty much it. The only thing that changed is that me and Grayson were so good, no fights, arguments, we talked every morning and night. It was amazing, I finally felt like we were close, as miserable as he seems in LA, things have gotten better for him. He found good friends and people, who aren't all about popularity and parties.

This week was also drafting week for my mom, so she's been extremely stressed. Ever since Jay joined the team, a lot of people have dropped out of the team, since they are worried that it's too much competition with Ivy, Dylan and Jay as the heads of the team. She's been trying to draft good and ambitious surfers all across the city, but none have showed any of the criteria to be eligible. They're either too bad or too egotistic.

My mom really despises ego!

———-

I haven't seen Gray yet, but we are meeting up at the surf convention today. The surf convention happens every year during spring break, before summer competitions roll up, surf teams try to pick out which surfer they would like to enroll in their team. Me, my brother, Jake and Cindy are usually right by moms side when this happens. A future team member needs to be at least in top shape, show signs of great team spirit, leadership and hard work.

The five judges, in my moms team, which includes her, Cindy, me, Jake and Nate, have to all say yes to the person before they can officially become part of it. The rest of moms team comes to watch, but they can't have a say on who joins or not, because every member of fighting for the scholarship, Well except Jay he's extremely wealthy and has almost every school begging for him to become a member. Everyone is rooting for Dylan, he deserves it, he works so hard, but he has no future plans. He's lost, winning and getting a scholarship for an Ivy League school could really help him find himself and set him on the right track.

Even Zoe is rooting for him and they always are competing trying to impress my mom but at the end of the day they are just like siblings. I was sitting with everyone at my moms beach, this year we are hosting it in our backyard for the first day of scouts. There's 3 days, try outs which are today, Sunday, 2nd day tryouts tomorrow, and finalists on Tuesday.

Me and Gray were planning a get away Tuesday night to a hotel. I'm extremely excited, two days alone with him is all I need right now.

"Hey where's Gray?" Dylan asks as he was sitting beside me. "He said he was definitely coming, he'll be here any second" I reply. We were watching surfers and we still haven't found the right one, which made my mom even more anxious. This year we lacked surfers, we got Jay, Zoe and Dylan but we need a fourth strong member for the team.

Let's just hope no surfer is better than Dylan and can one up him for the scholarship. "Hey isn't that Grayson?" Nate points out for Grayson in a wet suit, I was confused. "Yeah it is him, but why is he in a wet suit!" Cindy asks and I shrug. "He must have thought we were surfing, I will go tell him" I chuckle. I go up to Grayson and yell his name waving. The sun was in my eye. He looks at me with guilt in his eye. "Ivy.." he says quietly trying to hide something. "Why are you in a wetsuit we aren't surfing silly" I chuckle lightly and he sighs. "Next runner up, Grayson Dolan, 17, 10 years of experience" The lady introduces him through the speaker. "What?" I say in shock.

Grayson was good, really good. If he wanted the spot he could get it. But I told him, I told him how we were all anxious, well except mom, that someone good can take Dylan's spot. "I have to go" he pats my shoulder. I was angry, if he takes the spot in moms team, I'll be pissed off.

I watched as he ran up to the water and got in. I walked back with my hands crossed and they all, except Dylan and Mom looked at me with fear in their eyes. We all had a plan to secure the scholarship for Dylan, at whatever cost, and Grayson has the chance the ruin it all. My mom will give him the spot, she doesn't know about our plan. Neither does Dylan.

"Is that Grayson?" My mom asks impressed, and I sigh and plop myself down on the chair. "What the fuck is going on?" Zoe whispers to me. I exhale loudly and look at Grayson surfing. Everyone was cheering him on and my mom looked beyond impressed.

Nate looks at my mom then me with concern in his face. I peeked Over to see Dylan with shock and worrisome written all over his face. "I didn't know that Grayson was that good, or that he wanted to try out" mom says with a bright smile, "believe me neither did I" I mumbled.

After Grayson's surf, he smiles at everyone cheering him on. Then he looks at me and I rolled my eyes at him. He walks slowly towards me then sticks his board in the sand. "Grayson, wow, how would you like a spot on my team?" Mom says quickly, me and Nate get up from our seats quick. "But mama!" We both state and she looks over at us. "We all vote no!" Nate says and I nod my head, "what are you crazy?!" She practically yells at us, "no, Grayson isn't a great fit to this team, you can't put him in without our consent" I reply. "Ivy honey, this is my job and my team, I don't care what you have to stay, Graysons we've seen all day! He's in!" She says and walks away.

Nate looks at me and I look back at the others. "Hey you guys feel like a smoothie?" Zoe tried to change the subject and get the others to walk away from the fight that's about to happen between me and Gray. "Why is everyone saying no to Gray, he's great?" Dylan mumbles to Zoe m, and she smileS at him then looks at me.

They all walk away and I turn around to look at a dripping wet Gray. "What the fuck? I told you Gray, I told you everything, our plan, you went behind my back!" I yell at him. "I'm sorry, but I need this, I have the experience and I'm good. I need the scholarship!" He replies. "You have football!" I shout, "football took my thousands of kilometres away from my family, my twin brother, my friends, you!! If surfing can get me a scholarship, with my you, my family and my friends by my side, I'm choosing surfing!" He says with a calm voice then shrugs. "You're being selfish, Do you get that Surfing is Dylan's only option,  the only thing he knows, he needs this. You might have ten years of experience, but Dylan lives and breaths in the water bro. He surfs 24/7 just so he can get this scholarship. He doesn't admit it, but we all know he wants and needs this. He has no other choice, but you do, that's selfish Grayson!" I yell at him. "I'm sorry I really am, I feel bad, I hope Dylan the best, but right now I need to think about me, my future and my family. Im the best your moms seen so far and I'm taking this deal!" He sighs and I scoff at him. He then walks away from me.

He might be the best they've seen but he damn well isn't the best here. I'm the best here, heck the best in the city, if I have to beat Grayson to secure the scholarship for Dylan. I'm doing it!

————-

I quickly put on my wet suit and sign myself up, then get in the water once they call my name. I caught a big wave and started to quickly pick up my moves.

After my surf I went back, everyone ran up to me, "woah, I didn't know you were that good!" Zoe says, "wait a minute you're better than me at surfing and football, what the fuck?!!" Jay says and I laugh. "Ivy honey, I didn't know you wanted to join?" Mom asks, "I wasn't left a choice!" I say and glare at Grayson. "But what about football, you can't be on the surf team and football!" She asks, "I guess I'm going to have to quit then" I fake a smile then glare at Grayson once again.

"If this is about the scholarship, honey I can't give a scholarship to my kid!" She says, "yeah I know, the scholarship deserves to go to Dylan, I'm just here to take the spot and ensure no one else gets the scholarship!" I smile at Dylan, and he looks up at me. "Who m-me? Why not Zoe or Jay?" He stutters, "yes you!" Me, Zoe and Jay all pat him. He smiles at us. "Thank you guys!" Dylan smiles and we smile back at him.

Me and Grayson were left alone and he looks at me with confusion. "You are going to quit football in order to get your friend a scholarship but not your boyfriend" he scoffs, "no, I'm here in order to give my BESTFRIEND what he deserves. Not what you deserve, you might be good at the sport, but you don't know anything about how hard you actually how hard you actually have to work." I reply frustrated. "Don't you get that I'm your boyfriend, it's me or him Ivy, no In between, I need this scholarship, I'm not smart and I don't have parents who can get me into schools like you guys!" Grayson scoffs again. "I'm sorry but I don't care right now. I'm so pissed of Grayson, I have to quit football for this. For your doing, if you really care about anyone but yourself you will not do this!" I sigh and walk away

_______________________________
Until next time, X