Chapter 1

Jason

The dull grey walls, narrow hallways and dejected faces of the hospital staff are not doing any favor to make me feel better. Six months have passed and nothing has changed, the only difference is that earlier there was hope. But now, that hope is nothing but a flickering flame that can die at any moment.

"Hey, don't worry if it didn't work this time also. Surely it will work next time." Nick, my friend gives me a fake hopeful smile, making me scoff.

We walk outside the doctor's clinic, with the same answers that we are getting for the past six months.

"You know for the last six months we have reached nowhere, what makes you think that next time it will work?" I bite my lower lip to get hold of my emotions, "I think instead of hoping for some miracle, I should just focus on trying to adjust to my new life."

"I can't waste my life chasing after something, which is not possible." Running a hand through my hair, I look away, "I should just accept that, I can never be the same." A sigh escapes my lips, as I say these painful words.

A rueful smile settles on my face, as I watch my friend pacing back and forth and then throwing his hands up in annoyance and frustration. Words slipping out of his mouth, probably at, hundred miles per hour speed.

"Stop!" Placing my hand on his shoulder, I stop him in his mid-sentence.

"I think you have forgotten that my hearing is messed up, now." I chuckle, sadly, "There is no way in hell I can read your lips when you are speaking so fast."

I watch him opening and closing his mouth a few times when he has realized his mistake.

"I am sorry," he speaks slowly as guilt etched on his face.

"It is okay." I give him a small smile and pat his shoulder.

"I am going to bring the car to the front," he speaks, along with using his hands to make me understand his words.

I give him a nod and watching him jog outside the hospital into the parking lot.

Last year I got into an accident, which caused me to slip into a coma for four months. After waking up, I was confronted with the eerie silence, as I have lost my hearing. Results show that there is fifteen percent of hearing left in my right ear, while my left ear is working only four percent. Initially, I was given hearing aids, but it did nothing for me. Since then I visit the doctor every month to get my hearing tested, as they try to check my hearing by making me wear hearing aids adjusted on different frequencies. Unfortunately, until today nothing has worked for me.

Doctors say that it has something to do with psychology fact, and another reason is depression.

How can I not be depressed when my life completely changed due to that accident?

A drunk truck driver slammed into my car, leaving me fighting for my life. Now when I got a second chance at living, my life has taken an overturn leaving me with nothing but a life long silence. I have not only lost my hearing but I also feel I have lost the chance to be happy again.

***********************************************

Thank you for reading.